Go Down

Topic: C or Embedded C (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

bwevans

For my crash course in Arduino programming I plunged into the Oreilly book C in a Nutshell followed by K&R second edition. And believe it or not C for Dummies was a little helpful. Essentially though, that is a hard track to follow because of the implementation of the Arduino structure being a mash up of C and a little C++ with some other stuff to take the hard edges off. The printf() example is a case in how hard it can be to separate an essential part of C for a computer as opposed to Arduino C which does not have this command. Really the reference here on the website (and my reediting and reorg of the basic info in my notebook) is about the best reference for the Arduino language. You could also look at Igoe's Making Things Talk which is Arduino-centric but may not be all that introductory or terrible helpful unless you plan on using xPorts or xBees. I am going to try to rewrite my notebook from the ground up over the next 6 months but until then that doesnt help you much.

Best,
brian

mem

Mar 17, 2008, 10:41 am Last Edit: Mar 17, 2008, 10:42 am by mem Reason: 1
I have to admit I've never really understood the enthusiasm for K&R around here. While it may be a "model text for clarity of language and presentation" I'm not convinced that's entirely useful for people who are learning from a more non-technical background.

I finally managed to find the title of the textbook required by my university back around 2001: C Programming: A Modern Approach. While I was pretty much self-taught by that stage I do remember being impressed by the book at the time. (Of course the mists of time may be clouding my recollection. :-) )

So personally, for people with non-technical backgrounds (and even for others) I wouldn't really recommend K&R, but would suggest considering this book or other similar more "teaching" orientated books.

--Phil.

I have to put my hand up and admit that K&R was my recommendation early on when I started on this forum. I hadn't realised that a good many people are much more interested in getting a sketch to do something interesting than understanding the finer points of programming languages. I would not recommend K&R to people without a technical background, but for those that are interested in software engineering in general and the C language in particular, it's a damn fine technical book.  

For those with a little bit of technical background that are interested in learning more about C,  there is a flash based audio-visual seminar on the fundamentals of the C language available for free download here:
http://mindview.net/CDs/ThinkingInC/beta3

The course was written by Bruce Eckel, a highly respected trainer on Object oriented programming. (His books on thinking in C++ and Java are classics)

The C course does is not directly target embedded programming and the first few chapters on setting up a compiler and getting some printf examples running can be skipped. But the chapters on data type, program flow and functions are quite good.

Go Up