Go Down

Topic: Help to get started (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic

Barsik_The_CaT

So, I decided to get into robotics. My final goal - remotely controlled UAV with camera, payload and (preferably, but not necessary) a manipulator. My problem is that every single 'getting started' tutorial leaves me with a ton of questions and I don't really understand anything. I'd like some sort of guide for super retarted people, or even someone skilled to answer even the most stupid questions I might ask.

Robin2

It's the same as eating an elephant. Do it in small bites.

If you have no Arduino experience buy an Uno and work through several of the example programs that come with the Arduino IDE.

As your experience grows you will begin to understand mote and (importantly) will be better able to explain what you need help with.

Have a look at Planning and Implementing a Program although it was not written for a complete novice. You will see that the whole thing is a collection of small pieces.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Barsik_The_CaT

From other sources I found out that arduino is basically c++ (correct me if I'm wrong), but arduino IDE is not much of an IDE and it's a better idea to use a plugin for MSVS. Is it correct?
Also, what exactly is arduino uno? Some kind of basic controller for starters, or...?

larryd

Jun 24, 2016, 07:02 pm Last Edit: Jun 24, 2016, 07:02 pm by LarryD
Your in luck, the Internet has tutorials to help you get started.

YouTube for example:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA567CE235D39FA84

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Robin2

but arduino IDE is not much of an IDE
If you are already an expert programmer you may indeed find the Arduino IDE a bit limiting. But that is not who it is aimed at.

If you are a beginner the Arduino IDE makes it very easy to get started.

The Uno also makes it very easy to get started. Full details of the various Arduino boards can be found in the Products tab above.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Barsik_The_CaT

Thank's everyone for the help. I've got Visual Micro for MSVS, found a nice microsoft virtual academy course and ordering arduino starter kit (arduino uno, Jeremy Blum's book and some other stuff)

Robin2

If you think you will need advice from this Forum you will probably find it much more effective if you stick to the Arduino style of writing code with setup() and loop() functions and the usual Arduino libraries as people here will be familiar with all that.

But that does not mean that you have to use the Arduino IDE to write your programs. Personally I use the Geany text editor.

...R

travis_farmer

I personally like Code Blocks, as it is free, and works well for me. I had to tweak it a bit to work well with Arduino though.

I like it because it colors the code to make it easier to read, it can fold blocks of code that I am not working on to make it easier to navigate between functions. it really has tons of features that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I have Jeremy Blum's book, as well. I found it to be very informative.

Also, what exactly is arduino uno? Some kind of basic controller for starters, or...?
Think of it as one of many available Arduino tools. there are many different tools available, depending on what you need them to do. I use the UNO when the Mega2560 is just too much for the project. and likewise, I use a Mega2560 when I need more IO ports, serial ports, or just more memory.

~Travis
Current Obsession: Photography, astronomy, server rack cooler.
Check out my website, i have my own very under-used forum on my hobby server.

Rupert909

Jul 02, 2016, 11:25 pm Last Edit: Jul 02, 2016, 11:26 pm by Rupert909
So, I decided to get into robotics. My final goal - remotely controlled UAV with camera, payload and (preferably, but not necessary) a manipulator. My problem is that every single 'getting started' tutorial leaves me with a ton of questions and I don't really understand anything. I'd like some sort of guide for super retarted people, or even someone skilled to answer even the most stupid questions I might ask.
Good one! :-)

[Edit] ... or not
The internet is a great thing. Use it.
:s/internet/mind/g
Real Programmers use ++C

ChrisTenone

Um... I don't think we can use that word anymore.
Wubba lubba dub dub!

Go Up