Go Down

Topic: ethernet shield problem (Read 2791 times) previous topic - next topic

asduskun

hi all

my ethernet shield is not working. when i mount it on my arduino uno, just the pwr led goes on and no other leds including the ones at my ethernet socket on the shield. when i try to upload a sketch to it IDE gives me the following error , by the way my cable is working because i tried it on my tv.

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Ethernet"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Sketch uses 4,616 bytes (14%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 312 bytes (15%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,736 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x71
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

nathancamp

Are you trying to upload via Ethernet?  Don't think you can do that.

SurferTim

Jun 24, 2016, 06:01 pm Last Edit: Jun 24, 2016, 06:04 pm by SurferTim
Can you upload the sketch with the ethernet shield removed? Some less expensive ethernet shields have problems with solder bridges. Check the w5100 IC for those. Insure the shield is inserted completely into the Uno.

Posting a link to the exact model ethernet shield might help.

edit: You have the wrong board selected. Select Uno, not Arduino Ethernet.

asduskun

Can you upload the sketch with the ethernet shield removed? Some less expensive ethernet shields have problems with solder bridges. Check the w5100 IC for those. Insure the shield is inserted completely into the Uno.

Posting a link to the exact model ethernet shield might help.

edit: You have the wrong board selected. Select Uno, not Arduino Ethernet.
Actually at first I selected arduino uno as board but then I thought I made mistake and changed it to ethernet but either ways it doesn't work even cat-5 plugin leds not flashing. Just pwr led is red. And I also tried removing shield and uploading sketch and re-mounting it and it didn't work below is the link for my shield

http://s.aliexpress.com/67n22eYf

By the way in another post someone advices to remove c3 100nf cap which is located next to reset button on the shield but I don't know if I should do so!

SurferTim

If you can't upload sketches with the shield removed, the problem is not the shield. Have you tried uploading other sketches, like the blink example?

asduskun

If you can't upload sketches with the shield removed, the problem is not the shield. Have you tried uploading other sketches, like the blink example?
No, i can actually upload the sketch after shield is removed but when I mount it, it doesn't work

SurferTim

OK. Then upload the ethernet shield sketch and see if it works.

Once you have the shield installed, you can try this test. Select the "compile and upload" button on the IDE. While the IDE is compiling, press and hold the reset button during the compile, and when it says "uploading", release the reset button. Does it upload ok then?

asduskun

OK. Then upload the ethernet shield sketch and see if it works.

Once you have the shield installed, you can try this test. Select the "compile and upload" button on the IDE. While the IDE is compiling, press and hold the reset button during the compile, and when it says "uploading", release the reset button. Does it upload ok then?
ok I willing try this when I am back home. But whose reset button i should press? Uno's or shield's?

SurferTim

The shield's reset is easier to access, and they both should be interconnected.

asduskun

The shield's reset is easier to access, and they both should be interconnected.
Does it matter if ethernet cable is connected while uploading sketch?

SurferTim

Does it matter if ethernet cable is connected while uploading sketch?
Doesn't matter.

asduskun

Doesn't matter.

ok i have tried the above solutions but no result. i m using the sketch below and i havent changed anything according to my ip or mac adress anything. actually i dont know the mac address of my shield.

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

byte mac[] = {  0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
IPAddress ip(192,168,0,2);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);

// disable SD card if one in the slot
  pinMode(4,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(4,HIGH);

Serial.println("Starting w5100");
  Ethernet.begin(mac,ip);

Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());
}

void loop() {
}

SurferTim

That looks like a test I use. If it prints 192.168.0.2, then the SPI bus and the SPI side of the w5100 is working ok. If it prints anything else, you have a hardware problem. If it doesn't print anything at all, you may have a short or power problem.

Check the w5100 for solder bridges. They might be difficult to see with the naked eye. I use a magnifying glass to check.
If you wonder what they look like, Google "w5100 solder bridges" and select "Images".

asduskun

That looks like a test I use. If it prints 192.168.0.2, then the SPI bus and the SPI side of the w5100 is working ok. If it prints anything else, you have a hardware problem. If it doesn't print anything at all, you may have a short or power problem.

Check the w5100 for solder bridges. They might be difficult to see with the naked eye. I use a magnifying glass to check.
If you wonder what they look like, Google "w5100 solder bridges" and select "Images".
but my ethernet shield is HanRun HR91105A 16/02 not w5100

SurferTim

No. It is a w5100 ethernet controller. The HanRun device you see is the RJ45 socket.
http://s.aliexpress.com/67n22eYf

Go Up