Go Down

Topic: Read from file (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Dust

Hello,

Could someone tell me how to read from a text file in C++ in the Arduino sketchbook...I seem to be missing something.

Thanks!

simond

Do you mean read from a text file in your sketch? I'm curious as to the location of this file for it to be accessible by the running app on the arduino. In general, though, the C functions read(), open(), and friends such as fopen() will be helpful, and in C++ the iostream operators such as cin.

Dust

I'm trying to pull some info from a text file so that I can use the information.  My C++ is a bit rusty but I'm trying something like :

Code: [Select]
#include <ifstream>
#include <cstdlib>
using std::ifstream;
using std::cout;

void setup()
{
 ifstream inStream;
 String temp;
 inStream.open("test.txt");
 inStream >> str1;
 cout << str1;
 inStream.close();

Just to see if I can get something from it, but it's giving me the error:
ifstream: No such file or directory.

Is there a better way to approach this?

MysteriousAges

I can't remember exactly, but I thought the file objects were in the header file "fstream".

Dust

I get the same thing when I try fstream as well.

mellis

The Arduino board doesn't have a filesystem, so there aren't any files to read from.  If you want to write a program that runs on the computer, reads files, and communicates with the sketch running on the Arduino board, you'll need to use some other development platform (e.g. a standard C++ compiler).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy