Go Down

Topic: Am I giving the Arduino too much data? (Read 733 times) previous topic - next topic

Jul 13, 2008, 12:34 am Last Edit: Jul 13, 2008, 06:17 pm by Yes Reason: 1
When I get input from Serial.read(), it's the ASCII value for whatever key was hit.  Is there a way to get the "plain text" character input?  Like, instead of getting '97' when I hit 'a', can I just get 'a'?

New question:  I wrote a program that's supposed to get some input from Serial.read(), and then play the morse code for the text through a speaker.  I have an array for each letter of the alphabet that has numerical representations for dots or dashes.  But when I ran the program, nothing happened.  I put an LED in and tried having it blink at the beginning of the loop() method, and nothing happened.  But when I commented everything out so only the code for the LED was left it worked.  Right now I'm uncommenting the arrays one at a time and then sending, and the LED keeps blinking.  What's going on?

e:  Also, when I print one of the letter arrays, it just prints out zeros instead of what's actually in the array.  For example, if I declare and initialize o as 'int o[] = {2, 2, 2};' and then print that, it prints out three zeros.  I just print them in a for loop with Serial.println(), anybody know what's happening?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  Setting:

char character = 'a';

is the exact same thing as setting

char character = 97;

When you hit 'a', you do get an 'a'...

- Ben

Oh... oops.  That was stupid of me.

That was stupid of me.

Nah, not at all--there's a difference between not understanding something and being stupid. No need to be so quick to put yourself down. :-)

Or, as I read once somewhere: "you gotta be pretty smart before you can even start being this stupid." :D

Jul 13, 2008, 06:02 pm Last Edit: Jul 14, 2008, 02:12 am by Yes Reason: 1
I know, but I did understand =/

Thanks, new question  ;D

Nevermind, I got it.  I think it was running out of RAM.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131