Go Down

Topic: Header file wquestion (Read 909 times) previous topic - next topic

MacFlecknoe

Dec 08, 2008, 01:26 am Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 01:27 am by MacFlecknoe Reason: 1
I am getting the following error after I attempt to break out a function definition from a header file I wrote:

Code: [Select]

o: In function `readBytes()':
undefined reference to `add_byte(byte_array*, unsigned char)'

The header file (byte_array_s.h) looks like this:

#ifndef _byte_array_h
#define _byte_array_h

#include <WProgram.h>

typedef struct byte_array {
 byte *data;    // array of bytes this struct is meant to represent
 int size;      // number of bytes the structure possesses
 int bitsRead;  // number of bits contained in the structure (this is different than 8 * size)
} byte_array_s;

void add_byte(byte_array_s *byteArray, const byte _byte);

#endif

And this is the code that is throwing the error (currentByte is of type 'byte' and byteArray is a pointer to a byte_array_s BTW):

#include "byte_array_s.h"
byte_array_s * readBytes() {
 if(bitCounter != 0) add_byte(byteArray, currentByte);
}

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is the definition not defined properly?

westfw

this is a "link" error; your definition is fine, but there doesn't appear to actually be an "add_byte" function created anywhere in your sketch.
(the "void add_byte(byte_array_s *byteArray, const byte _byte);" statement you have is a "prototype" that describes what the function looks like without actually creating any code.  The code is what is missing.)

Tim Stamp

try replacing this
void add_byte(byte_array_s *byteArray, const byte _byte);

with this
void add_byte(byte_array_s *byteArray, const byte _byte)
{
   //do something;
}

- Tim

MacFlecknoe

Dec 08, 2008, 02:26 pm Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 02:29 pm by MacFlecknoe Reason: 1
I should have been more clear. I DO have the code defined in a separate file (byte_array_s.c). This file is saved in the same directory as the others. I presumed that the IDE would link them all together?

Am  I mistaken about that?

mlambert@gnuget:~/arduino/arduino-0012/sketchbook/HID$ ls
applet  byte_array_s.c byte_array_s.h  HID.pde

westfw

You have to either re-open the sketch or explicitly add the file in order for it to be "noticed" as part of the sketch.  If it dosn't show up on a tab in your sketch, it won't get compiled...

MacFlecknoe

The ".c" files do show up as sperate tabs in the IDE but the only way I can get them to compile is to include them in the original sketch. :-/ Is this a known issue or is anyone else experiencing these problems?

Building the modules on the command line works but the Make file I downloaded seems to have trouble compiling the sketch itself (it is looking for a file that doesnt exist: 'WRandom.cpp') so that was a dead-end. Is there an updating Makefile (the md5sum for the file I have is cf4933cf13ee4d194060c76c69fa9471)?

beginner

I had a similar problem so I posted a question yesterday and I got the answer: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1228866246

As indicated, I renamed the .c files to .cpp and everything works now. I hope this helps.

MacFlecknoe

Dec 10, 2008, 04:44 pm Last Edit: Dec 10, 2008, 05:24 pm by MacFlecknoe Reason: 1
Thank you so much I think this is the answer I was looking for! :-)

Update: added "extern C" to the header files as described in the linked thread and also here http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/mixing-c-and-cpp.html and it now compiles

Thanks all!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy