Go Down

Topic: Loop exit (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic

frankcalzia

How can I exit a Loop the moment a switch pin is high so that the routine  proceeds no further, stops in its tracks without continuing to execute the rest of the loop? I am able to stop the loop only after the loop completes one cycle which is too late.

florinc

I am able to stop the loop only after the loop completes one cycle which is too late

Are you talking about this loop?
Code: [Select]
void loop()
How did you stop the loop?

koyaanisqatsi

Apr 10, 2009, 05:01 am Last Edit: Apr 10, 2009, 05:06 am by koyaanisqatsi Reason: 1
The break command will exit a loop (including loop()).  So if you want an interrupt to cause a loop to exit, then in your ISR, set a variable and check for that variable in your loop.  If it's detected, then run the break command.  It won't be real time, but it should be very fast.

byte interruptPin = 0;  // your interrupt pin
volatile boolean ISRRan = 0;  // this variable is set in your ISR to trigger a break in the while loop
byte C = 0;  // this is just the counter var for the while loop

void setup() {
 attachInterrupt(interruptPin, myISR, RISING);  // The interrupt will trigger on a rising state and run myISR()
}

void myISR() {
 ISRRan = 1;
 // do other things in the ISR
}

void loop() {
 while ( C < 10 ) {
   if ( ISRRan ) {
     break;
   }
   //doing something inside the while loop
 C++;
 }
 // do other things outside of the while loop
 ISRRan = 0;  // Reset for whatever reason
}

I am able to stop the loop only after the loop completes one cycle which is too late.

Sorry, just saw this part after reading the post again. I think this is as good as you can get because I don't think the ISR can directly communicate with the non-ISR code.  You may be able to cause a software reset from the ISR, but that's pretty harsh.
What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

FusiveResonance

Apr 11, 2009, 05:35 am Last Edit: Apr 11, 2009, 05:37 am by FusiveResonance Reason: 1
First, learn about interrupts. If you still don't want to use them then read on

This is a matter of polling. What I am about to suggest is not the most efficient implementation, but rather one that is easy to implement.

Here's what you probably have:

while (input != HIGH) //you might also be checking for some other conditions
{

//do stuff here

}

As you've mentioned earlier, the loop will only stop after a complete cycle, because the conditions are only polled at the start of the cycle.

So why not poll more frequently?

while (input != HIGH) //you might also be checking for some other conditions
{

//do something here

if(input == HIGH)
           //suspend the program

//do some more stuff

if(input == HIGH)
           //suspend the program

//do some other stuff

}

You can see now that within the loop, the conditions are polled twice.

I am not suggesting that check something after every single line of code within the loop, rather identify segments of code that can be run together and poll after those.

Go Up