Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Forum Etiquette  (Read 3589 times)
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Honestly, I thought somebody is testing an artificial intelligence engine.
Was I wrong? Is this true?

SF Bay Area
Edison Member
Arduino Ninja
View Profile

If it's true, they need to go back to the drawing board.

Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

Lord of the Flies. Hmmm. So who's the pigs and who's the hunters ?

I think Mr. I-Parakeet a.k.a "Kevin S.", "kevin duino" just needs some fine tuning. Maybe we should have a "GAGA board" for AI tests.

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Norway@Oslo
Edison Member
loveArduino(true);
View Profile

Honestly, I thought somebody is testing an artificial intelligence engine.
Unfortunantly I think there is nothing artificial nor intelligent? about this engine of yours. :smiley

Got to check:
@madworm - your banner is a joke right?  ;D
[edit]Banner changed[/edit]

We definitely need rules/moderators.
Glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks this. smiley

I wasn't really aware that we didn't have any. I've been familiar with how forums work ever since i first joined one (it's common sense really).
Most is 'common sense', but then again, 'common sense' is relative. :smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:04:40 pm by AlphaBeta » Logged

The Big Smoke
Hacking and Slashing
View Profile

@madworm I don't think he'd pass. Really makes me want to avoid kids smiley-razz

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

This should be STRICTLY forbidden if you ask me.

So who can remove the message?

Given that Reply #13 is a threat it should be removed as well.

- Brian

Norway@Oslo
Edison Member
loveArduino(true);
View Profile

So who can remove the message?
A moderator would be a natural choice?

Given that Reply #13 is a threat it should be removed as well.
Well. It's not a threat really? Is it?
Maybe a bit off topic, but I understand that he felt the need for replying to post #11.
[edit]It might be that he aimed his post at me, but looking at the time and the content, I chose to doubt it. smiley[/edit]

I see your point.
Though, with a set of rules the who becomes less important, as that individual simply acts based upon the rules that are made, in order to keep this community a nurturing and friendly one.

smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:38:16 pm by AlphaBeta » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I take it that you have not been given that authority.  

Unfortunately, without a moderator participating in this thread or delegating some authority, this thread won't make it past the fixin'-to state.

Well. It's not a threat really? Is it?

I misread and misunderstood his message.  I thought it was directed at you.

- Brian

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Normally I would salute a kid of 11 years of age for being into Arduinos - but this guy is really annoying - and he knows it.

If my father found out I was making an ass of myself at his age, I would have seen the back of his hand quickly and often.

Hopeful he can learn to act a bit more like a big-boy and become part of the forum.

Austria
Arduino rocks
View Profile

yes, a Etiquette is a must!

if there is moderation i cant see it, just look at the Exhibition forum  :-?

Bonn, Germany
God Member
View Profile

I totally agree with the whole idea. Some sort of etiquette would be nice from time to time. As i have had a more.. personal approach on this matter a few weeks back (remember that open letter?) i support everything that keeps up the unique(!) atmosphere of this forum - if that would mean that we need (more?) moderation i would even support that. Although i think we should try to keep it as ruleless as possible - like everyday life. I mean, you dont need to tell people not to put their teeth into the occasional seagull overhead - and therefore some minimum manners should be something we ought to have here out of the box.
Just when it comes to bumpin and nonsense i think that we should have rules.. In the end we hvae the Bar Sports forum for all kinds of stuff, so spamming and such things can be dealt with there and bumping.. hm.. i must admit i was tempted to do that quite often myself as this is highly dynamic forum with people distributed all over the world - hence it happens fast and happens often that threads can get off the first page. So.. what to do about that? I would rather like to see more threads per page than people to bump.. and a small sidenote. Normally, from what i have seen so far, bumping was never successful. Either somoene in this world knew an answer or noone did and bumping did not add much besides replies where you were slapped for bumping.

One last thing that is also important to me and not aimed at someone in particular: Please guys! Read more. Most answers you search are already here! Especially if you call yourself a newbie (i hate that word!) you will most likely find an answer to your problems as beginners dont tackle stuff all too often that is far beyond any abilities... I know the Search box is totally worthless here (face it - the forum software might be nice, but if there is a chance to upgrade it something far better (SMF for example could be a way to go - you wouldnt even loose any posts or stuff..) then yesterday would be the best time to do it!) but still you can find via google most answers you need...

Believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid[ch8230] and I went ahead

God Member
skcor oniudrA
View Profile

Yabb can't be easily migrated to SMF because Yabb uses flat files, and SMF uses mySql. There are scripts available for doing the job but they all have one kind of issue or another, like dropped posts and member details and member history crossovers .. very messy, and for a community this size .. perhaps "too" risky.

The homepage search uses google which provides excellent results, so in my opinion, the most efficient solution would be to implement google search in the forum software rather than the default Yabb search. That's a 1 hour forum hack to implement, and then new members won't have as many problems finding answers.

Torino - Linux
God Member
Pigs on the wings!
View Profile

I think all can become easier if people post and read.

@Kevin i do not like war in forum, mailing list or other form of comunications but @alfabeta told you a good thing: read much more than you post.

If you're 11 years old, i can imagine you feel bored just reading but how can you learn something if you only write but you don't read?

Please trust me, my intent is not a flame but just a suggestion.

Glassport,Pa@ USA
shoop teh whoop!
View Profile

rules are ok =P

[ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618]

Norway@Oslo
Edison Member
loveArduino(true);
View Profile

I take it that you have not been given that authority.  

Unfortunately, without a moderator participating in this thread or delegating some authority, this thread won't make it past the fixin'-to state.

I am/might seem a bit out-of-place on this one but the 'rules' stated are only meant as examples.
The rules would, ofcourse, have to come from higher authority, in order for them to be useful.

This thread is made to get a discussion going. Not to provide the solution. (But maybe some ideas for it.)
 smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Jump to: