Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Forum Etiquette  (Read 3609 times)
Austria
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

if changing, why to SMF?  im for phpBB   smiley-wink

what about a thread where are just links to the "standart" problems

(for example: http://www.vr6forum.eu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7025, there we inform all new members with a automatic PN that they should read all this threads first. Works quite well smiley)

Bonn, Germany
God Member
View Profile

just a bit OT:
SMF would be my personal choice because it is reliable and fast. phpBB2 is equally good yet outdated and phpBB3 is just a waste of time - imho.

Believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid[ch8230] and I went ahead

New York
Edison Member
E != m*c^2
View Profile

Kudos to AlphaBeta for this thread, (sorry im a bit late on the topic) - u r absolutely correct, many problems on this forum (although this is nonetheless the best tech community forum i have participated in)

Perhaps we should nominate some people who are true veterans on this forum as moderators, people who 1) would accept such a position 2) would have an unbiased view on the issues we have on this forum, and thus be able to moderate them accordingly (e.g.: know when to delete posts, when to admonish users)

i guess this is the ultimate problem that comes automatically with a large scale open-source development project

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

My $0.02 -

Ignore the annoying and they will eventually get bored and go away.  Move on with a thread like nothing ever happened.  People who pollute forums feed on this sort of post and the responses they get from their own lame-o posts.

Don't respond.  Don't react.  Don't participate in conversations with a user that bothers you.  And don't talk about them in other posts.

What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

Glassport,Pa@ USA
shoop teh whoop!
View Profile

i hate yabb2, use proboards.com. the best

[ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618]

Connecticut, US
Edison Member
Whatduino
View Profile

Ignore the annoying and they will eventually get bored and go away.  Move on with a thread like nothing ever happened.  Don't respond.  Don't react.  Don't participate in conversations with a user that bothers you.  And don't talk about them in other posts.

Seconded.  I saw this thread, and thought, "yawn... drama queens both of them."  Leave moderation duties to the moderators.  Don't appoint yourself the sheriff or the judge.  I agree the kid needs some ritalin or more parental involvement in their online adventures, but geez, just ignore him.

Norway@Oslo
Edison Member
loveArduino(true);
View Profile

People who pollute forums ... Don't respond (to them).  Don't react.  Don't participate in conversations with a user that bothers you.
[size=10](Text colored like this is mine)[/size]
Why stand back and accept that this forum gets polluted?

I saw this thread, and thought, "yawn... drama queens both of them."  ...  Don't appoint yourself the sheriff or the judge.
This is funny, what a MAJOR self-contradiction.  :smiley
Who's the one judging if I may ask?

I've been pretty clear that I have no authority regarding this. I simply wanted a discussion, and I still think a small set of rules would've been good for the community.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It would be nice if the forum software would implement a captcha-kind of login, so the artificial intelligence engine would be required to be more intelligent than it seems to be at the moment. Not necessarily to ask what the contorted characters are, but do a simple calculation based on Ohm's law, for example.

In my opinion, the current implementation of this AI engine works pretty well. Maybe the "etiquette" library needs to be adjusted, but overall, it kind of follows a conversation, don't you think? Hopefully, it could also learn.

SF Bay Area
Edison Member
Arduino Ninja
View Profile

How about an Arduino-specific captcha that requires you to write a small function to perform a task? smiley

Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

Massachusetts
Electrical Engineers Rule the World.
View Profile

something oughta be done about this kevin character, hes polluting the forum and just look at his avatar...
he obviously has nothing better to do...

- Scott

Bonn, Germany
God Member
View Profile

If we were a bit.. lower with our standards i would know what to say about what could be done about that thing.. guy.. kid.. whatever.

For once it would be great to show him a way of being less annoying instead of being more annoying with every single post.
Come to think of it - we may teach him not to write a new thread for each and every little thought that might come to his mind.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:28:13 pm by Nachtwind » Logged

Believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid[ch8230] and I went ahead

Sofia, Bulgaria
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I've been running a relatively large Linux community site here for the last 10 years. I've had my deal of being drawn into senseless talks, later to discover the person is just playing or mentally unstable, then have everyone unleash their hate on him then he plays the victim, then someone with a soft heart decides to find something good in him etc. The game continues.
The most important thing is not to forget the purpose of this community - share specific knowledge. My personal experience shows that such characters are easier to be left alone, them shouting, us -  doing our own business. At the end they wear out, and as no energy is received they go on to bother somebody else.
I am pretty sure they have hard time in the real world though, but don't know what to do about that. In every population some are lost to madness.

Norway@Oslo
Edison Member
loveArduino(true);
View Profile

This thread was not dedicated to who you might think.

Example:
There is a lot of posts that starts like:
Excuse me if this is in the wrong part of the forum

This could easily be omitted by having a sticky called Read this before posting or something, that states simple examples on typical thread titles in each of the sub-forums. (In addition to the rules and general info)

Anyways, in order to fulfill mirchos prophesy; I know for a fact that who you might think is a good kid. He has added me on msn, and I've had a few conversations with him.
I am sure he does not try to 'bother' us.
It might seem so because our set of norms are very different from those existant in forums mostly populated by children.

As of now, we have no way of refering to these norms and one can only learn them by
A) reading a lot of threads (which most of os do, and all should do)
B) getting a lot of angry PMs

I propose:
C) reading a list of rules and expecations in a concise text, written by someone with authority
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:07:10 pm by AlphaBeta » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

AlphaBeta, this thread was a good idea. Great job!

Personally, I think that all of the spammers like KevinDuino need to be banned. Not just accounted banned, IP banned.

But macegr's idea about an Arduino specific Captcha is a really great idea. It needs to be something tough, though... like, "How many pins did pre-Diecimilla (sp?) boards have?", or, "What's the recommended serial voltage for an XBee?"

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Captcha is a really great idea. It needs to be something tough, though

Two things...

1. I thought the point of the Arduino was to get the artists, designers, and hobbyists engaged in connecting computers to the physical world.  Having a tough "captcha" would certainly eliminate the vast majority of the intended audience.

2. Having such a "captcha" would have eliminated me.  I'll leave it to your judgement to determine if that is a good or bad thing.

- Brian
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:18:28 am by bcook » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: