Go Down

Topic: Process Control Interface (Read 849 times) previous topic - next topic

I am trying to think of ways to present a generic, ideally graphical interface to the user that will allow them to implement their own control logic with a particular system that incorporates a given number and types of input/ouput. For example, if the system has 3 inputs for speed, temperature and pressure and 3 outputs for controlling a switch/alarm, motor and gauge, what kind of user interface could/should I present that will allow them to select any combination of the inputs and set conditions on them in order to trigger and drive any combination of the outputs. A set of control instructions might look like:

1 -( SPEED >10 AND SPEED <20 AND [ TEMP <50 OR PRESSURE <200 ] ) DO ( MOTORSPEED=10; GAUGE=2.5 )

2 -( SPEED >100 AND [ TEMP >=50 OR PRESSURE >=200 ] ) DO ( ALARM; MOTORSPEED=1; GAUGE=5 )

3 - .....

I could have the user input the above as text in a line by line set of control commands and parse them to generate the necessary code, but this would not be a very user friendly way to do things. I'm looking for a generic/graphical/systematic way of doing this and wondered if anyone has any ideas as to how I might go about achieving this or ideally whether there is some industry standard interface for Programmable Logic Controllers that I might be able to base my design on.

Mike Rice

Google for Ladder Logic Language. It's the defacto standard, and one of the first things a process control tech learns.

Thanks, never heard of this before but does look similar to the area of boolean switching functions... I shall read further..!  ;)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131