Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Resonator vs Xtal  (Read 954 times)
Where's the Kaboom?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

After a successful prototype I'm putting together a short production run of a standalone project - just wondering if there are any huge benefits of using a crystal over a resonator & cap combo? I'm looking at keeping it simple & cheap as poss...

Cheers

Orygun
Don't let the smoke out!
View Profile

For "run of the mill" projects where having an accurate clock isn't necessary, resonators work just fine. They're well within the specs to allow serial communications to function. If you're using it for measuring time, precise frequency and reduced drift would indicate needing a crystal clock source.

ottawa, canada
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

- just wondering if there are any huge benefits of using a crystal over a resonator & cap combo?

to my knowledge, you can use either:
-a crystal and TWO capacitors;
-a resonator which is a crystal and capacitors combined in a single 3 lead package;
-the internal oscillator with no external components.

The resonator has an accuracy/stability advantage over the internal oscillator at the cost of one more component, the crystal/caps are the same as the resonator but with still more parts.

London
Faraday Member
Have fun!
View Profile

a resonator which is a crystal and capacitors combined in a single 3 lead package
No, the devices sold as resonators for microcontroller clocks use a ceramic material rather than crystal and are much less accurate. Although as capt.tagon says, good enough if you don't need precise timing.

Where's the Kaboom?
View Profile

No, accurate timing is not required, and there's no serial capability, so it looks like I'm fine with a resonator, saving a few pence and sq mm

Cheers

Calgary, AB, Canada
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Good write up on the subject can be found here:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/2154

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: