Go Down

Topic: Help: Arduino vs Commandline: Doubles code size (Read 552 times) previous topic - next topic

I am trying to get the example code for the WebClient Compiled without the arduino GUI.
The good thing: It works.
The very bad thing: The code size jumps from 5486 Byte with the Arduino GUI up to 11058 Byes with a Makefile. Both resulting programs work as expected when uploaded. Note: I had to define
extern "C" void __cxa_pure_virtual(void);
void __cxa_pure_virtual(void) {};

because otherwise I get an error:
hardware/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:153: undefined reference to `__cxa_pure_virtual

I already tried to link the ready .o files from the arduino temporary directory, but this ends up in the linking error above. I already used strace to see what commands the GUI gives avr-gcc but there were nothing unusual. The only thing: If I do not add the -lm lib, the code size increases by an additional ~2KB.

It looks linke there is a lot of unused code removed, but I am really at the end of my knowledge whats going on in the magic GUI.

Any Ideas?

Coding Badly

Do either of these help...

- Brian

Jul 08, 2009, 10:01 am Last Edit: Jul 08, 2009, 10:03 am by TTL12345678 Reason: 1
Thanks, -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections helped.
My error was: I looked through the strace output and found the [glow]-Wl,--gc-sections[/glow] linker option. But I added it as two parameters [glow]-Wl --gc-sections[/glow], which did not changed anything.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131