Go Down

Topic: Structures, pointers to structures, and bytes (Read 4555 times) previous topic - next topic

bitrex

I'm having a bit of a problem with one of my sketches - if I do the following:
Code: [Select]

typedef struct my_struct {

byte data1;
byte data2;
byte data3;

} a_structure;

a_structure structure1;

structure1->data1 = 100;

Whenever I try to access or modify the data in "structure1" I can never get it to return anything but 0.  When I use an integer type for the data values inside the structure, however, everything works as expected.  I'd really like to use byte types for the data inside the structure, as I intend on having several of them in this sketch and would like to keep the memory usage down.  Any ideas on what's going on?  :-?

Rusty in Texas

Jul 18, 2009, 07:33 am Last Edit: Jul 18, 2009, 07:35 am by Fe2o3Fish Reason: 1
I'm a bit surprised if that last statement compiled since it is
syntactically incorrect.  Since structure1 is NOT a pointer to
the structure then the reference to the data1 member should
be:

structure1.data1 = 100;

The most recent version of avr-gcc on Linux did not like your statement.

bitrex

Yes, you're right. I was putting the parts of the code relative to the problem from memory (since the code is large and I wanted to make the issue clear), and I forgot some significant parts!  :'( It should have been like this:

typedef struct my_struct {

byte data1;
byte data2;
byte data3;

} a_structure;

a_structure structure1;

DoStuff(&structure1);

void DoStuff(struct my_struct *editingStructure)
{

editingStructure->data1 = 100;

}

That should be beter!  In any case, I figured out the problem, I had a facepalm kind of mistake in the function where I assign initial values to the structure in question.  Everything is working fine now!  I suppose if anyone wants to use structure types and pointers in their code, they could use something like the above as an example.  :D For some reason you have to add the "my_struct" to the type definition and "struct my_struct" to the function call to get the compiler to like it, which isn't how I remember doing it in C - I'm not sure exactly why this is...

AWOL

void DoStuff(struct my_struct *editingStructure)

or

void DoStuff(a_structure* editingStructure)

since you've conveniently given the structure "struct my_struct" a type name.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

bitrex

Jul 18, 2009, 10:08 pm Last Edit: Jul 18, 2009, 10:09 pm by bitrex Reason: 1
I also thought that I could do it the second way in AWOL's example, but I always get "a_structure was not declared in this scope" errors when I try to do it that way...

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy