Go Down

Topic: Can I use the "new" C++ memory features? (Read 959 times) previous topic - next topic

MarkS

Sometimes the compiler seems to be C++, and other times its like C. It knows about "class" and doesn't seem to care where variables are declared (like C++), but when I try to allocate memory dynamically:

char *stuff = new char[10] ;

it gives me a compiler error that seems to suggest that it isn't compiling as c++, even though the file extension is cpp.

Is there a way to turn on 'new', or do I need to allocate memory the old fashioned way?

Thanks!
Mark

mem

Arduino does use C++ but the AVR-GCC compiler used has some restrictions related to its use on an embedded platform.

New and delete were not supported the last time I looked at the compiler spec, but malloc and free are so you can make your own if you want, see this thread: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1230935955

with only a few k of RAM be very careful about allocating dynamic memory - its easy to run out.

Have fun!

MarkS

Thanks!
It looks like its back to the drawing board.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy