Go Down

Topic: Help for calculating diameter or circumference of a tree  (Read 948 times) previous topic - next topic

isaiah7p

Hello Arduino Experts ,

Good Day ,

I have recently started working on Arduino for a project & its performance is awesome .

Need your expertise to check the feasibility to find a tree diameter using arduino & IR or Ultrasonic sensors with the combination for servos or any other .

Usually a tree diameter is calculation above 4:50 feet . so we  may need gyro as well .

keep posting your solution and suggestions .

Thanks in Advance

Happy Coding  . Cheers
Isaiah

AWOL

Do you have a clear description of your problem?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

Johnny010

I think I can de-cipher the problem.

They are probably currently trying to measure the diameter and circumference of tress at varying heights.
usually involves someone ascending...usually not dangerous (although as a climber of ~20 years...I have seen varying levels of retardery when it comes to safe climbing) it can be expensive and slow going.

They want a device that will scale a tree and measure the circumference and diameter at varying heights.

Robin2

The OP should explain how the measuring is done at the moment.

Trees tend to have branches which could make automated measurement very complex. But it is easy for a human brain to find a suitable work-around.

On a side note, this sounds like an attempt to replace a human with a machine. I think it is time we stopped doing that. It has been going on since the industrial revolution and, while it has made a few people very rich, it has not made humanity any happier.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

dave-in-nj

I think the problem is more simple.

you go into a forest and want to cut only trees that are 1 meter or larger in diameter.
you take your harvester to a tree,
from 4.12  meters away, sensed by your range finder
and at 4.5 feet from the ground
the visual angle of the tree is 2.31 degrees.

now you have all you need to calculate the unknown side. the diameter of the tree.

it it is larger than spec, it becomes Mrs Finnegans new chest of drawers and lumber for the new house.

by feeding the vision input into your R-Pi, you can do the math

------------------

you approach a tree, slip your verniers over the tree and by holding them 4.5 feet above the ground as sensed by your range finder, you move them till they touch the tree on both sides. then measure the distance on your verniers based on movement of the verniers.

you have your two lasers, each mounted parallel to each other,
on a rail that allows you to separate them.
you move to your tree, then slide them so that each one touches the side of the tree.
your ir sensor is to 'see' that it touches the tree and reflects or not...
measure the distance of your lasers, that equal the tree diameter

6v6gt

. . .
you have your two lasers, each mounted parallel to each other,
on a rail that allows you to separate them.
you move to your tree, then slide them so that each one touches the side of the tree.
your ir sensor is to 'see' that it touches the tree and reflects or not...
measure the distance of your lasers, that equal the tree diameter

I was beginning to think that a ladder and a tape measure would be the only practical solution, but this idea makes sense. If the lasers point upwards at 45 degrees from the ground, then the laser measuring device has to me mounted 4.5 meters ( minus half the base diameter) from the tree. This ensures that the measurement is made at the required height of 4.5 meters.

Robin2

If the lasers point upwards ...
What about the leaves and branches and birds nests between the laser and the trunk?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

KeithRB

On a side note, this sounds like an attempt to replace a human with a machine. I think it is time we stopped doing that. It has been going on since the industrial revolution and, while it has made a few people very rich, it has not made humanity any happier.

...R
Really OT, but do you have to work 12 hours a day 6/7 days a week?

jremington

On the other hand, computers make everyone  happier!

KeithRB

jremington

I thought that was Soma?
Same thing.
Look at all the time people spend on Facebook, etc. and what they accomplish by doing that.

KeithRB

I am reminded of Calvin and Hobbes:
"Karl Marx hadn't seen anything yet."
http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1986/01/19

Robin2

Really OT, but do you have to work 12 hours a day 6/7 days a week?
Would you actually be less happy than you are now if you did have to (and did not know anything different)?

You probably would not have been kept awake at night worrying how you were going to meet next month's repayment on the new car.

...R

dave-in-nj

What about the leaves and branches and birds nests between the laser and the trunk?

...R
solution :

stronger lasers.

dave-in-nj

Would you actually be less happy than you are now if you did have to (and did not know anything different)?

You probably would not have been kept awake at night worrying how you were going to meet next month's repayment on the new car.

...R
I for one am happy that Eli Whittney invented the cotton gin.
and that someone invented the saw mill.

I would not want to have to go out and cut my own trees to make my house
then grow my own crops for food.

it sounds romantic, but if your whole life is spent in the pursuit of living for the food and shelter for that day, there is little meaning in one's life.

besides, most people cannot even define happiness.

Go Up