Go Down

Topic: Serial decoding! ints, floats & strings OH My! (Read 480 times) previous topic - next topic

Keshka

I have been looking around the playground and here a bit and have not found any libraries for sending complex information over the serial port. An example would be sending a structure, float values or long text strings.  I could write something....used to do something along these lines by separating the data with the pipe symbol.  Probably the simplest example of what I am looking for would be sending an integer. One must convert it to a string, send the string one char at a time, some ending marker and then the receive side must piece it back together again like first char +=, second * 10 += and so on.

I am just being lazy! Seems like such a routine thing that SOMEBODY has to have done this before. Such is the power of open source  ;)

Keshka

mem

Oct 17, 2009, 09:08 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2009, 09:10 pm by mem Reason: 1
Here is a simple example of how to send an array of integers as a comma separated string with a cr/lf terminator

Code: [Select]

const int COUNT = 5;
int values[COUNT] = {3,1,4,1,5};

for(int i=0;i < COUNT; i++)
{
  Serial.print(values[i]);
  if( i < COUNT-1)
    Serial.print(',');    
}
Serial.println();

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy