Go Down

Topic: Working with uint8_t encoded data (virtualwire) (Read 2140 times) previous topic - next topic

abocanegra

Feb 15, 2010, 04:16 am Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010, 04:21 am by abocanegra Reason: 1
As usual I have managed to solve some problems while failing to solve others. Currently I am stuck on the translation of data. I am building a cheap tranceiver using radio transmitters and receivers I have got from Sparkfun. I am able to send an address and receive the addresses of others transmitting theirs.

The trick I am trying to pull off in the larger view is that I want to also send which tranceivers each individual tranceiver can see. I am able to send the data from variables as follows- 0:1,2 where 0 is the tranceiver that can see 1 and 2. However, currently the 1 and 2 is only hard coded not a variable like the address.

I am having trouble parsing the uint8_t data that I receive. I have worked out a script to translate a string to integers with , delineation. However I cannot get the uint8_t data to convert to a char so that i can strcat it into a string for parsing into int's.

here is the script where it needs to go.
Code: [Select]
char msg[30]="";

///////////////////////////////////////////Receive Data
void rx(){

//   vw_rx_start();
// Serial.println("Receive");//Debug Only
 uint8_t buf[VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN];
   uint8_t buflen = VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN;
   vw_wait_rx();
   if (vw_get_message(buf, &buflen)) // check to see if anything has been received
   {
     for (int i=0;i<buflen;i++) msg[i]=0;
   int i;

// Message with a good checksum received.
     Serial.print("Got: ");
      for (int i = 0; i < buflen; i++)
       {
         Serial.print(buf[i], BYTE);
         msg[i]=buf[i];
       }
    Serial.println();
  }
}

I have tried many things (removed because they failed). Typically the error is either cannot convert uint8_t to const *char or cannot convert char to *char.

What is the proper method for parsing uint8_t to char. So far I can print the msg var but cannot do anything useful with it.

Thanks

abocanegra

Thanks anyways, sometimes you just need to write the problem out to figure it out.  It clicked not long after I posted this.  Here is the answer allowing you to receive data from the transmitter and then convert it to integers after creating a single string from the data.

Code: [Select]
///////////////////////////////////////////Receive Data
void rx(){

//   vw_rx_start();
 // Serial.println("Receive");//Debug Only
 uint8_t buf[VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN];
 uint8_t buflen = VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN;
 vw_wait_rx();
 if (vw_get_message(buf, &buflen)) // check to see if anything has been received
 {
   for (int i=0;i<buflen;i++) msg[i]=0;
   {
     int i;
     char vBuff[30]="";
     // Message with a good checksum received.
     // Serial.print("Got: ");
     for (int i = 0; i < buflen; i++)
     {
       // Serial.print(buf[i], BYTE);
       msg[i]=buf[i];
     }
     Serial.println();
     //Create String from received data
     strcat(vBuff, msg);
     //Convert to individual integers from char
     char *rxString = vBuff;
     char *str[30];
     int convert[30];
     int j=0;
     while((str[j] = strtok_r(rxString, ":,", &rxString)) !=NULL){ // delimiter : and ,
       convert[j]=atoi(str[j]);
       if(j==0){
         Serial.print("Sensor= ");
         Serial.println(convert[j]);
       }else{
         Serial.print("near= ");
         Serial.println(convert[j]);
       }
       j++;
     }
   }
 }