Go Down

Topic: What do you guys use to create models? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

softt

I have few projects in mind. Projects like a skittles separator by color. My problem is, I have no idea how to create the model... (the material part. The part where electronics get in). I heard many people use 3d printing for that, but that's not a way for me. So what alternative do I have?

debum

I would suggest using sheet metal (hvac stores), wood (home depot), or acrylic sheets (amazon) or even old enclosures or plastic boxes, etc.  It all depends on how much you want to spend and what tools you have.

sethwilliam

I've actually been trying to get into this area myself for my next project. 3D printing would be nice but I have no experience with using one nor do I wish to spend a lot of money on one just yet.

I bought several acrylic sheets off of amazon for real cheap and they come in different colors
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FLYDRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been trying to figure out how to cut/work with them though.

I have been thinking of getting a rotary tool so that I could cut it easily and drill holes for standoffs, though I also found out that you can use simple acrylic cutting tools to score the sheet and then break it apart. Don't know how well that will work for me because I need smaller parts (2" by 6") though I think it would work fine.

Some advice I've obtained upon researching this topic, buy extra sheets of acrylic so that you have room to practice cutting and figuring out how to use whichever tool you choose.

Good luck!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy