Go Down

Topic: Has anyone succeeded in getting this ESP8266 shield working with an Arduino? (Read 5948 times) previous topic - next topic

boylesg

As in getting it to connect to an existing wifi network.

If so how? What firmware? What AT command set? What arduino library?

I have managed to get this type of ESP8266 shield to work:

But the first type appears to be completely incompatible some how.

pert

I've used both types and had no problems. The first shield("elecshop.ml") came with the "AI-Thinker" AT firmware installed. The second one("DOIT") had a proprietary firmware. Were you able to use the DOIT shield with AT commands?

I'm using the WiFiEsp library with these shields:
https://github.com/bportaluri/WiFiEsp
The only problem is the author of the library has left debug output to Serial on, which makes the library not work when you have the ESP8266 connected to Serial, as these shields do. The solution is to disable the debug output as shown here:
https://github.com/bportaluri/WiFiEsp/pull/46

I was able to use the elecshop.ml shield with the firmware it shipped with, I installed the latest Espressif AT firmware at the time(July) on the DOIT shield.

boylesg

Look I have had a gut full of these shields - I have wasted far too much time on them

I can't find instructions that reliably work to even flash them.

I can't find a complete set of AT instructions that work with them.

I can't find an Arduino library that works with them.

I have binned them!

I will stick with the ESP13 shields that Jayacar sell. These seem to work reliably and Jaycar supply some in instructions on how to use them that work.

TommiP

I can't find instructions that reliably work to even flash them.
I've managed to find help from here at the time when I started to use ESP8266 units.. ..or perhaps you'd like to use nodemcu ? It's good option if you'd like to write your own code in the esp's flash.

I can't find a complete set of AT instructions that work with them.
Have you tried for example these or these ?

TommiP

INTP

boylesg

Feel free to send them to me if you've given up on them.  :)
I've managed to find help from here at the time when I started to use ESP8266 units.. ..or perhaps you'd like to use nodemcu ? It's good option if you'd like to write your own code in the esp's flash.

Have you tried for example these or these ?

TommiP

Look I am out of patience with them. I just want the damn support to be there for the product and not have to go a year long treasure hunt on the net to figure out how to make them work.

My project is the irrigation controller I am working on, not spending months and months trying to figure out how to make a third party's product work when they haven't bothered providing adequate support for it.

INTP

It's not a commercially packaged product. You're talking about hobby components. For hobbyists. For enthusiasts. For people who can tinker. Complaining about poor documentation when you should be grateful you even have access to such cheap components is the whole 'looking a gift horse in the mouth' thing.
Not that I agree there isn't documentation, it's out there.

Price is inversely proportional to 'support'. If they put in the effort to document thoroughly enough for newbies to understand and use effectively, the price would climb. I'll take cheap components and have to do a little legwork over paying extra and miss out on learning opportunity.

TommiP

Look I am out of patience with them. I just want the damn support to be there for the product and not have to go a year long treasure hunt on the net to figure out how to make them work.

My project is the irrigation controller I am working on, not spending months and months trying to figure out how to make a third party's product work when they haven't bothered providing adequate support for it.
You don't get product support from ebay shopkeeper, believe it. They are just selling those, as many as then can..  Read the answers for your other topics about this same issue, for example here and also try to learn that reality of life is what INTP just wrote above this.. I unpacked three of those shields 20 minutes before I answered you in other topic about AT-commands and it took about four minutes to find those AT-commands with google and intructions how to use them with this chip..

As a conclusion: No one doesn't bring it to you on the plate, you have to do at least some by yourself like rest of us. It's not chinese fault or ours, it's just the way it is.

TommiP

pert

You really can't expect much for $7USD with free shipping. If you want better support then you might consider the SparkFun ESP8266 shield.

I do agree that the manufacturer of that shield should have taken some time to provide documentation though. It would actually be in their best interest, I'm sure the small investment in publishing some documentation would pay back many times over in increased sales. Labor is supposed to be super cheap in China, how much would it really cost them to pay someone to spend 2 hours writing some documentation? I love their "More info & tech support please go to elecshop.ml" on the silkscreen. What a joke! I was actually pleasantly surprised by the documentation on the DOIT shield. Not that it's actually very good but my expectations are very low with these Chinese products.

As far as actual tech support though, meh. I usually know more than the jokers that you end up talking to after waiting on hold forever. They usually have no experience with the product and are just reading the documentation back to you. Support costs money and that cost is passed along to the customer. I'd rather have a cheaper product and make the effort to figure it out myself or as a last resort ask for help from the kind folks on forums such as this one.

TommiP

I do agree that the manufacturer of that shield should have taken some time to provide documentation though.
Yeah, at least schematics would be fine and for example those dip switches would be crystal clear with one look. Now it takes some reverse engineering time to find out..

TommiP

boylesg

You don't get product support from ebay shopkeeper, believe it. They are just selling those, as many as then can..  Read the answers for your other topics about this same issue, for example here and also try to learn that reality of life is what INTP just wrote above this.. I unpacked three of those shields 20 minutes before I answered you in other topic about AT-commands and it took about four minutes to find those AT-commands with google and intructions how to use them with this chip..

As a conclusion: No one doesn't bring it to you on the plate, you have to do at least some by yourself like rest of us. It's not chinese fault or ours, it's just the way it is.

TommiP
Some of them do - they provide links to arduino libraries etc.

Or at least the items they sell use standard interfaces like I2C etc and don't need specific support to get them working with arduino.

And they nearly always provide the IC numbers etc so you can look up the data sheets.

But this Wang guy (name printed on the board), that is apparently making these wifi boards, provides absolutely NOTHING. None of the sellers of this board provide any support what so ever.

I mean they don't even specify the type of ESP8266 chip it uses - I had to figure that out myself (12E) and I am not even sure if that is correct for the pinout.

You do a search on the 13 chip, used on the Jaycar wifi board, and there is abundant support info from all the microcontroller suppliers.

But there is very little reliable info on this 12E chip - assuming I have even got that right.

INTP

It's obviously an ESP-12E module and there are a bunch of ESP8266 module comparison sites that spell out the differences with pictures. If you couldn't even find those sites, then your complaints are losing even more credulity.
You are straight up confounding your inability to find information or inability to understand it with the non-existence of that information.

boylesg

It's obviously an ESP-12E module and there are a bunch of ESP8266 module comparison sites that spell out the differences with pictures. If you couldn't even find those sites, then your complaints are losing even more credulity.
You are straight up confounding your inability to find information or inability to understand it with the non-existence of that information.
Well clearly I did find them because you are telling me I was right about 12E. But none the less I have had constant problems with these shields and very few problems with the other type that Jaycar sells.

I mean that must surely say something about the second type of shield right there - that a big chain like Jaycar is prepared to sell them but not the other type. And none of the other big electronics retailers like element14, and such like, sell the wifi board made by Wang.... either as far as I can see.

At the end of the day I am 1 electronics amateur trying to build a fairly sophisticated irrigation controller and I am just not interested in dicking around with a product that is poorly supported by the maker and sellers and that has caused no end of trouble over a few months.

I am merely passing on my experience to other amateurs so that they might avoid the same trouble.

INTP

Again, you are confounding your own inability with reality. Other amateurs, such as myself, have had no problem finding the documentation and support.
You are not doing anyone any favors by slandering a product when it's completely user ignorance. Your theories about what retailers carry are nothing more than delusion.

Might do you some good to take a step back, and not set yourself as the golden standard for what level of support, documentation, hand-holding is acceptable for every product in the world.

boylesg

Again, you are confounding your own inability with reality. Other amateurs, such as myself, have had no problem finding the documentation and support.
You are not doing anyone any favors by slandering a product when it's completely user ignorance. Your theories about what retailers carry are nothing more than delusion.

Might do you some good to take a step back, and not set yourself as the golden standard for what level of support, documentation, hand-holding is acceptable for every product in the world.
I disagree. I may be an amateur but I have respectable amount of ability.

What I don't have is patience with these particular wifi shields.

I have bought a very large quantity of various electronic components from ebay and I have managed to get them ALL working with arduino within a few days or less. Googling them has revealed abundant useful support info from various sources.

But googling these wifi shields has revealed in large number of other people who have had similar problems getting them to work with arduino, but very little in the way of specific support from anyone who has actually used them.

Go Up