Go Down

Topic: Good Dispay ePaper for Arduino (Read 53729 times) previous topic - next topic

beee

Please add 4.2 inch 3 color: GDEW042Z15 too. (2.9 inch 3 color GDEW029Z10 also of course) Thank you.

ZinggJM

Please add 4.2 inch 3 color: GDEW042Z15 too. (2.9 inch 3 color GDEW029Z10 also of course) Thank you.
Thank you for your interest. I am willing to do some unpaid work, but I will only invest in hardware I want to use myself. But you can order interesting hardware from Good Display to be sent to me, they have my address, and I will try to create a display class for it, and keep the hardware.

Jean-Marc Zingg
No personal message please; any question may be useful for other users. Use code tags for code. Make links clickable with URL tags. Provide links to the product in question.

ZinggJM

Jul 28, 2017, 11:29 am Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 03:32 pm by ZinggJM Reason: updated
Good Display Sales Promotion 28. July 2017, 11 days on AliExpress.

Please note the sales promotion for the Demo Boards. Good chance to get started with e-paper displays!

For the high resolution e-paper displays there is no easy alternative to the DESTM32-L, except the Waveshare 4.3 e-paper display.
I do prefer the 6 inch and 8 inch e-paper displays, so I use the DESTM32-L for these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/E-paper-Demo-only/600281_511864504.html

http://www.buy-lcd.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=10615_10623&product_id=50479

http://www.buy-lcd.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=10615_10621&product_id=50478

Good Display has updated their web-page to provide actual demo code for their e-paper displays:

http://www.good-display.com/download_list/downloadcategoryid=35&isMode=false.html
No personal message please; any question may be useful for other users. Use code tags for code. Make links clickable with URL tags. Provide links to the product in question.

ZinggJM

Class GxGDEW075Z09 for GDEW075Z09 7.5inch black/white/red e-paper display is also supported by the GxEPD library, thanks to "Noobidoo".

guy1ziv2

This is a very useful topic folks!

Does anyone know where to find the schematics of the connector board DESTM32-S2 ?

ZinggJM

Aug 07, 2017, 01:32 pm Last Edit: Aug 07, 2017, 08:21 pm by ZinggJM

Does anyone know where to find the schematics of the connector board DESTM32-S2 ?
I have not found this schematics, and have not asked for it. Sales Support of Dalian Good Display is very helpful for such enquiries.

The "reference circuit", which corresponds largely to the DESTM32-S2 is part of every SPI e-paper specification,
see e.g. http://www.good-display.com/downloadsfront.do?method=picker&flag=all&id=9ee72555-13d0-4d79-892d-898c83a39f3e&fileId=468&isDownloadPermissions=true&v=2.zip

Addendum: updated connection scheme for DESTM32-S2:

DESTM32-S2 pinout (top, component side view):
       |-------------------------------------------------
       |  VCC  |o o| VCC 5V, not needed
       |  GND  |o o| GND
       |  3.3  |o o| 3.3V
       |  nc   |o o| nc
       |  nc   |o o| nc
       |  nc   |o o| nc
       |  MOSI |o o| CLK=SCK
       | SS=DC |o o| D/C=RS    // Slave Select = Device Connect |o o| Data/Command = Register Select
       |  RST  |o o| BUSY
       |  nc   |o o| BS, connect to GND

Code: [Select]
/************************************************************************************
   class GxGDE0213B1 : Display class example for GDE0213B1 e-Paper from Dalian Good Display Co., Ltd.: www.good-display.com

based on Demo Example from Good Display, now available on http://www.good-display.com/download_list/downloadcategoryid=34&isMode=false.html

Author : J-M Zingg

modified by :

Version : 2.0

Support: minimal, provided as example only, as is, no claim to be fit for serious use

connection to the e-Paper display is through DESTM32-S2 connection board, available from Good Display

DESTM32-S2 pinout (top, component side view):
       |  VCC  |o o| VCC 5V, not needed
       |  GND  |o o| GND
       |  3.3  |o o| 3.3V
       |  nc   |o o| nc
       |  nc   |o o| nc
       |  nc   |o o| nc
       |  MOSI |o o| CLK=SCK
       | SS=DC |o o| D/C=RS    // Slave Select = Device Connect |o o| Data/Command = Register Select
       |  RST  |o o| BUSY
       |  nc   |o o| BS, connect to GND
*/

I hope this clarification helps.

ZinggJM

I just discovered that the schematics are now available online:

http://www.good-display.com/download_list/downloadcategoryid=34&isMode=false&pageNo=1&pageSize=16.html

ZinggJM

My Arduino library GxEPD for e-paper displays is updated on GitHub with classes for 3-color displays 1.54", 2.13" and 2.9".

GitHub - ZinggJM/GxEPD - A simple E-Paper display library with common base class and separate IO class.

Thanks to Sponsor Eric.

athh

Hey ZinggJM! Thank you so much for the thread.

I'm very new to Arduino and want to I'd like to test out Good Display's 1.54" e-paper display, but I have no idea where to start. I have the stuff and DESTM32-S on my hand, but I am not sure how to operate it. I tried following the instructions from GD, but it doesn't help me much since I encountered a lot of errors. Wishing to integrate this Arduino, is it possible if you guide me through a personal message?

Thank you!

ZinggJM

Oct 29, 2017, 04:50 pm Last Edit: Oct 29, 2017, 04:54 pm by ZinggJM
I suggest you try to use my library GxEPD.

Download it as zip file through the link in the preceding post.

Then install it using the Add zip-file method of Arduino IDE Library manager.

In .../Arduino/libraries/GxEPD-master there is the subdirectory GxGDEP015OC1 with class files for your display. In these files you see how to connect the DESTM32-S to Wemos D1 mini, and also the connections for AVR Arduinos, e.g. UNO.

And in examples you see GxEPD_SPI_TestExample to start with.

Please tell us which kind of Arduino you use.

For Arduino UNO or other AVR Arduinos take a look at PagedDisplayExampleSmallRam, to see how you can use it with limited RAM.

You can also take a look at the Waveshare website and their wiki pages for the 1.54" e-paper.

I prefer answering questions in forum topics; so other users can possibly profit from answers; no PM.

PS: caution with Arduino UNO etc.: these e-papers are for 3.3V, the data lines should also be 3.3V, use level converters, voltage divisors or 3.3V Arduinos, or use at least series resistors to avoid damage.

athh

Alright, thank you so much for the initial step-by-step tutorial!

Unfortunately, I don't have the Wemos D1 Mini, but I have an IoT microcontroller by Espresso Lite. I'll try to see whether I can substitute the former with the latter.

I have Arduino UNO on hand, but I'm not sure whether I should get Arduino MEGA/Arduino with higher RAM.

I'll look into it and see what I can do.

ZinggJM

Oct 31, 2017, 03:15 pm Last Edit: Nov 01, 2017, 06:40 am by ZinggJM
Espresso Lite should be ok, and better suited than any AVR Arduino.

You just need to adapt the pin names; SPI names are defined, but other pins are just numbers.

See in

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.3.0\variants\generic\common.h

Good Luck!

Unfortunately GxEPD does not compile for Espresso Lite or any other ESP8266 except Wemos. Sorry.

As a workaround you can add the following code before the class includes in the example:

Code: [Select]
#if defined(ESP8266) & !defined(D0)
static const uint8_t D0   = 16;
static const uint8_t D1   = 5;
static const uint8_t D2   = 4;
static const uint8_t D3   = 0;
static const uint8_t D4   = 2;
static const uint8_t D5   = 14;
static const uint8_t D6   = 12;
static const uint8_t D7   = 13;
static const uint8_t D8   = 15;
static const uint8_t RX   = 3;
static const uint8_t TX   = 1;
#endif

I will fix this in the next update.

ZinggJM

Added Fast Partial Update variant GxGDEW042T2_FPU for 4.2 inch black/white display

- NOTE: This Fast Partial Update variant works with an experimental partial update waveform table

- Side effects and life expectancy with this LUT are unknown, as it is NOT from the manufacturer!

ogipo

I have GDEW0213Z16 from Good Display. Demo code from their site works with internal LUT's.

I need to use register defined LUT's: (commands 20h, 21h, 22h, 23h, 24h) LUTC, LUTWW, LUTBW/LUTR,  LUTWB/LUTW, LUTBB/LUTB.

I need max speed refresh display in red/black/white, without any effects.

Can you help me with ready to use LUT's? 

Thanks in advance.

ZinggJM

I have GDEW0213Z16 from Good Display. Demo code from their site works with internal LUT's.

I need to use register defined LUT's: (commands 20h, 21h, 22h, 23h, 24h) LUTC, LUTWW, LUTBW/LUTR,  LUTWB/LUTW, LUTBB/LUTB.

I need max speed refresh display in red/black/white, without any effects.

Can you help me with ready to use LUT's?  

Thanks in advance.
I need these too, or at least I would like to have them!

As far as I know there is no demo or example code that contains the waveform tables for full update for this display, as the manufacturer supplies them in the internal OTP of the controller.

I may go searching, and if unsuccessful, I will ask Dalian Good Display; maybe they are willing to share them.

With the example for full update I could experiment with LUT values for partial update.

But even then, this may not solve your request, as any update for 3-color e-papers will always be considerably slower than for b/w because of the physics behind it. The blog of Ben Krasnow contains explanation:

Fast partial refresh on 4.2" E-paper display from Waveshare / Good Display

Go Up