Go Down

Topic: PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features) (Read 106802 times) previous topic - next topic

NetDevil

Is it possible to use PLX-DAQ in combination with a APC220? I'm able to print and read the prints using a serial monitor program, but PLX-DAQ doesn't see anything. It recognises that the COM port is in use and able to connect, but nothing in the spreadsheet or raw data logger.
Hi Josh,

basically PLX DAQ is compatible with all kinds of hardware, as long as the data can be send via the Serial Monitor. Please check out the Beginners Guide included in the downloads to get to know the syntax.

In case there really is nothing shown in the DirectDebugWindow I guess it will most likely be a wrong baud rate? Please make sure baud rate in PLX DAQ is the same as in your Arduino code.

ankit643

Hello,
I have multiple systems that log data one time when system is turned on.
My problem is that each time it store data on first column. Is there any way i can store each data in different column??

Thanks in advance.

NetDevil

Is there any way i can store each data in different column??
Hi,
might be that CELL,SET command can be used to solve your problem.
Please take a look at the beginners guide for instructions.

Greetings
Jonathan

ankit643

I tried Cell Set feature it stores data in first row,

I want to know how can we find number of rows in which data is already stored so that when next time I reconnect my module it stores data after that.

I will row set that number

NetDevil

I want to know how can we find number of rows in which data is already stored so that when next time I reconnect my module it stores data after that.
Hi,
there currently is no function for that. You could uncheck the box "Restart Arduino on connection" (or something like that) to keep your counter, but it only works in case your Arduino has not been rebooted otherwise (e.g., power cut).

Another way is to implement a new function like "GETMAXROWS", similar to "CELL,GET" syntax. Since you are already developing code you will be capable of this - VBA is not that hard and there is plenty of code to cop from. You can access PLX DAQ code by pressing ALT+F8.
To get max rows use code like this: ActiveSheet.Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

bogus105

Mr NetDevil!

Thank you for the tool you've made!

I'm interested in device that will send data to excel spreadsheet. It will measure the distance during the device movement and those measurements should be transfered to excel spreadsheet on-the-fly (because arduino doesn't have enough internal RAM, or writing to SD card is probably too slow). Each measurement will be 8 bit signed value as i plan to send the distance difference (increment) only (so it will be positive or negative number) instead of absolute distance.
The measurement will be taken up to 5000 times a second so every 0,2 usec. Is it possible to send data via serial connection via PLX-DAQ at that speed - 1 byte per 0.2 micro second? It is 5k Bytes a second. Probably the serial connection should be 57 600 kbps or higher, right?

Next thing: after the data is loaded to excel i will process it and then i want the processed data to be sent back to arduino over serial.
But this time the device will replicate the measured profile at much slower speed. As arduino doesn't have much memory for the buffer to receive all the data from serial is it possible to monitor if the arduino buffer is full and to stop data transfer over serial until arduino have a room for the next data.

Is it possible to make arduino to initiate the data transfer from excel when it is ready to replicate the profile?

Or maybe esp8266 for that?;/

Redwire

I'm using Excel 2019 with v2.11.   I can view the data from the Arduino pro-micro in the "display direct debug" box in Excel,  but nothing will display in the Excel spreadsheet cells.  I'm using a very simple sketch as the example provided with  2.11 locks up Excel 2019.     If I click "Clear Columns"  it will clear the columns.    The controller message just says "timer reset"  after connecting.     Any suggestions?

NetDevil

Hi Redwire, let's see:

I'm using Excel 2019 with v2.11.
Interesting, I haven't tested Office 2019 yet. Please keep us posted if PLX DAQ is working with it (once we solved your problems ;) )

I can view the data from the Arduino pro-micro in the "display direct debug" box in Excel,  but nothing will display in the Excel spreadsheet cells.
Can you please post the exact content that is posted in the DirectDebugWindow? I assume the Serial.println syntax is not according to PLX DAQ needs

I'm using a very simple sketch as the example provided with  2.11
Yeah, the devil is in the details ;) Let's see according to what's your answer to aboves question.

Hi bogus105, you're next :)

Mr NetDevil!

Thank you for the tool you've made!
Oh come on!  :D but thanks a lot :)

The measurement will be taken up to 5000 times a second so every 0,2 usec. Is it possible to send data via serial connection via PLX-DAQ at that speed - 1 byte per 0.2 micro second? It is 5k Bytes a second. Probably the serial connection should be 57 600 kbps or higher, right?
Honestly I am not sure any Arduino can measure 5000 times per second. Try using the for loop with nothing more but Serial.println(millies()); I guess you will get one line every firth millisecond. Thus no way to have 5000 data sets per second. But my experience is from Arduino Uno. Might be other boards are (way) faster.
Transfer rate to PLX DAQ (or via Serial connection in any scenario) are measured in BAUD. There sure are tools to calculate the respectively needed baud rate, but please be aware that PLX DAQ struggles with some very high baud rates over longer time periods. This might have to do with your PCs performance.

Next thing: after the data is loaded to excel i will process it and then i want the processed data to be sent back to arduino over serial.
But this time the device will replicate the measured profile at much slower speed. As arduino doesn't have much memory for the buffer to receive all the data from serial is it possible to monitor if the arduino buffer is full and to stop data transfer over serial until arduino have a room for the next data.
Is it possible to make arduino to initiate the data transfer from excel when it is ready to replicate the profile?
You can use CELL,GET command to ask for the content of any specific cell out of Excel. As of now there is the need to do an endless wait-loop and wait for the data to be received. That might stop all your other measurements. However that loop can also be included in the main loop with some clever programming.

Or maybe esp8266 for that?;/
Naaa, wifi is not supported by PLX DAQ, sorry for that ;)

Redwire

NetDevil

NetDevil   attached is the output
Yeah as expected. You are not using the required PLX DAQ syntax. Please read the Beginners Guide attached in the download package and get familiar with the DATA-syntax for your Serial.println command.

Redwire

Not seeing the issue   according to the Beginner Guide   "All communication will be done by Serial.println commands just like the commands you use to send from Arduino to monitor in your Arduino IDE Serial Monitor."

NetDevil

Not seeing the issue   according to the Beginner Guide   "All communication will be done by Serial.println commands just like the commands you use to send from Arduino to monitor in your Arduino IDE Serial Monitor."
Yes, but you need to use the correct syntax of commands you send to Excel. Namely DATA as mentioned. Starting with DATA followed by each columns value separated by a comma. It's all in the guide

ianthetraveller

Just like to thank you NetDevil for writing this macro. I've used it successfully for a year or so with a sketch to measure the Ah capacity of lead-acid batteries with an arduino. Should have thanked you earlier. I found macros quite tricky to write so karma to you.

Go Up