Go Down

Topic: How can i write/read an integer to eeprom? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

acmiilangr

int temp;

how can i write to eeprom the content of temp? what if it has more than 1 digit? for example "123"
does the code need to split to 1,2,3 and write to 3 adresses?

AWOL

123 is less than 255 which is the largest value you can store in a byte.
However "123" is a string and takes up four bytes.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

acmiilangr

May 15, 2010, 08:56 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:59 pm by acmilangr Reason: 1
yeah mistake i mean 123 not "123"

but what about 654?
and what is the syntax to do that?
do i need to split it and write 6,5,4 in 3 addresses? and how can i join them?(on reading)

AWOL

Code: [Select]
int x = 645;
byte hix = highByte (x);
byte lox = lowByte (x);
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

acmiilangr

May 15, 2010, 09:04 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:35 pm by acmilangr Reason: 1
Code: [Select]
int x = 645;
byte hix = highByte (x);
byte lox = lowByte (x);

thanks for that, a little explain? :-? what value will have the hix and what the lox on this example?

mmm is the split of 645 in 2 bytes?

searching on the internet i saw this
elocity = -200 = hex FF38 = [hex FF] [hex 38] = [255] [56]
Radius = 500 = hex 01F4 = [hex 01] [hex F4] = [1] [244]

so i think i undestand now..

and another question. do i need to check a demical if it is >than 256 to use high/low fuction before i save it to eeprom? and how do i know when i read from eeprom if the value have 1 or 2 addreesses? if i read always 2 adresses then if the number i saved was less than 256 i'll get wrong result

and how i merge them? ;)

AWOL

retrolefty

May 15, 2010, 09:55 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:59 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1
and another question. do i need to check a demical if it is >than 256 to use high/low fuction before i save it to eeprom?

Integers have no decimal point.

and how do i know when i read from eeprom if the value have 1 or 2 addresses?

eeproms only directly write or read to byte addresses, so you always have to write or read two bytes to save or retrieve a integer number no matter what it's value is.

if i read always 2 addresses then if the number i saved was less than 256 i'll get wrong result

No you will get correct results (even if <256) if you use AWOL's formula,  x= (hix * 256) + lox;

Lefty

mowcius

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy