Go Down

Topic: how to read serial communication every 200ms (Read 730 times) previous topic - next topic

acmiilangr

hi i have a big code that makes a cycle on about 1 minute.

i want to make the code to run a fuction (for example void reading_rx()  ) that reads serial data every 200ms.

i know that one  solution is in to call the fuction many times in the code, but as i know there is a eventfuse that can do this work better.

can someone post here a (full) example code? becouse i dont know how event fuse works

AlphaBeta

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/TimedAction

That is my solution for trigering events every X milliseconds.
See the example if you're interested! :)

mromani

Many "timed-action" libraries (your library, SimpleTimer (mine) and Time+TimeAlarm) are based on the "polling" concept: a function must be called in loop() at least once per ms, so it can check wether it's time to call a function.

If the op's cycle needs 1 minute to run, then none of the mentioned libraries can help.

AlphaBeta

The title says every 200ms :)
And, at least for my library, you can update the TimedAction at any rate you prefer, but that will also limit the presicion of the timing.

Groove

Be aware that at 9600 bps, a busy line will overflow the serial receiver buffer in 133ms.
Per Arduino ad Astra

mromani

@AlphaBeta: you're right, my statement about the need to call the control routine every 1ms is wrong.
You have to call it at least every x ms if you want an action to be performed every x ms, or obviously you'll loose some "ticks".

If the op's routine needs 1 minute to run, then he can fire timed actions every minute, not sooner.

Go Up