Go Down

Topic: Finding an angle from a Joystick (x and y value) (Read 791 times) previous topic - next topic

lpcmen2001

Hi, I am currently developing a robot with the Wii nunchuck and I am trying to find a way to deduce the angle in degree that forms my x and y value with the center of the joystick. I though of a way using the atan() method but It will only work for angle bigger than 45 degree (since it works with the Pythagorean theorem and the triangle whose 3 angle must be equal 180).

So let's say i have my coord ( 28, 5 ) , I want to be able to find what angle it forms from the point 0,0, clockwise... where point (1,0) would be 0 ,    (1,1) would be 45,    (0,1) would be 90 and so on...

I am really looking forward to your answers...

Thanks a lot !!

jrraines

I haven't used this and I think some of the data structures will have to be recreated as they don't seem to be online,  but this is a really neat description of how to solve your problem for underpowered 8 bit microprocessors:
www.cypress.com/?docID=2279

maybe someone's done it with an arduino already

crimony

Hi, I am currently developing a robot with the Wii nunchuck and I am trying to find a way to deduce the angle in degree that forms my x and y value with the center of the joystick. I though of a way using the atan() method but It will only work for angle bigger than 45 degree

That's exactly what atan2(x, y) is for.

vinceherman

+1 for using atan2

I used this until I ran short of cycles, then I switched to an approximation of atan2.  Less accurate, but more than accurate enough for the work I was doing.

lpcmen2001

Works great with atan2() !! Thanks a lot !!

How did you do your approximation of atan2() ? Only curious !! I dont think I am running out of cycle (though I dont really know what this mean... care to explain?).

Thanks a lot for the fast answer !

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy