Go Down

Topic: How to Connect Arduino GSM Shield 2 to Mega 2560 without Stacking? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

6g8a5f6a

My apologies for asking what appears to be a common question.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a clear answer in the postings and the documentation is a bit ambiguous.

I'd like to connect an Arduino GSM 2 Shield to a Mega 2560 without stacking.  I can't find any instructions for doing so.  I have had the GSM shield successfully running while stacked on an UNO for unit testing, and now need to move to a bigger platform.

The schematic suggests, that outside of +5V and Ground, only 4 connections are made to the underlying board when stacked.  These are:

. Power Reset
. D7
. GSM Rx
. GSM Tx

On the other hand, the documentation for the Arduino GSM2 seems to indicate that only the GSM Tx D2 pin needs to be connected to the Mega's D10 pin.  There isn't any info about what other pins, if any, have to be connected.

Does anyone have experience with connecting the GSM2 to a Mega 2560 without stacking ?

TIA

6g8a5f6a

I managed to get it sorted out.  To connect a GSM 2 to Mega 2560 without stacking you need to make 6 connections in total:

Mega +5V            to  GSM +5V
Mega GRD            to  GSM GRD
Mega D10             to  GSM D2
Mega D3               to  GSM D3
Mega D7               to  GSM D7
Mega Power Reset to   GSM Power Reset

AS a side note, I installed the GSM shield in the same build as a 1.88" TFT lcd.   The TFT object also calls for a connection at Mega D10 for its CS.  I was able to relocate the TFT's D10 pin to D25 and it appears to work.

ronaldgadget

. Power Reset
. D7
. GSM Rx
. GSM Tx

On the other hand, the documentation for the Arduino GSM2 seems to indicate that only the GSM Tx D2 pin needs to be connected to the Mega's D10 pin.

Yes, it will be sufficient to connect these pins.
I have stacked the GSM shield on the other side of the Mega2560 - I did this to keep the result compact, yet have a fully stackable Mega2560 available. I just soldered pin headers on the bottom of the Mega2560...
Ronald Gadget - discovered Arduino in Sept 2014 - built 4 systems with it. Professionally building uServers - see www.zurich.ibm.com/microserver

Go Up