Go Down

Topic: IDE 1.8.0 Released -- update: 1.8.7 (Read 92073 times) previous topic - next topic

pert

Hi, I'm something of a newbie on Arduino.
To make things worse, I use either a Macbook2 or an iMac.
When I (try to) load the IDE it always flags the same 2 errors, bot relating to the libraries:-
1:- Standard Libraries not loaded because "can only use names starting with a letter.
2:- Same error message as above.
Can anyone know of this error or a fix.
Thanks in advance.
Bill Robertson
Are you using Arduino IDE 1.8.5? Older IDE versions are more picky about library names.

If you are using the latest IDE version and still getting this warning then you need to find the lbiraries that are causing it and fix the folder name. You will find the libraries under {Sketchbook folder}/libraries. You can find/set the location of the sketchbook folder in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location.

pert

Hi, I'm something of a newbie on Arduino.
To make things worse, I use either a Macbook2 or an iMac.
When I (try to) load the IDE it always flags the same 2 errors, bot relating to the libraries:-
1:- Standard Libraries not loaded because "can only use names starting with a letter.
2:- Same error message as above.
Can anyone know of this error or a fix.
Thanks in advance.
Bill Robertson
Oh, I see now. I already tried helping you in your other thread a week ago:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=521956
Instead of following my instructions and replying if there was still a problem you ignored me and made an even more vague post here, where it's off topic. If this is the best you can do I recommend you give up on Arduino now because you'll have no chance of success.

pert

I get the following error:

Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
Are you still having the problem?

billrobertson

Oh, I seem to have got up your nose somehow.
For whatever reason I did not find your response only the above

dfmh60

Hi all, I'm trying to install 1.8.5 and receive the following error:

error writing to file libgcc.a

what am i doing wrong

pert

Feb 27, 2018, 11:36 am Last Edit: Feb 27, 2018, 11:37 am by pert
Hi all, I'm trying to install 1.8.5 and receive the following error:

error writing to file libgcc.a
It's possible this sort of error could be caused by your antivirus software. First make sure you're installing the official Arduino IDE downloaded from http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software. Try TEMPORARILY disabling your antivirus for a single installation attempt to see if the problem goes away, then turn the antivirus back on.

ferozshaik

its always showing that programmer not responding

pert

its always showing that programmer not responding
Please do this:
  • File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload fails you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

abhishek15

Hi
getting error in programming
exit status 1
'class NMEAGPS' has no member named 'sat_count'
can you help me solving this plzz

Christophe59

Mar 23, 2018, 12:48 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2018, 12:51 pm by Christophe59
Hello there, just started with Arduino Uno this week.
I'd like to use my old MacBook to program the Arduino; it runs macOS X 10.7.5.
I installed the Arduino IDE 1.8.5, and tried the Blink example as soon as the board arrived.
The compiler seem to have difficulties finding libraries, or maybe the linker.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to make an attached picture visible: the attached picture show the compiler error messages.
Generally, they say "main.cpp.o: Plugin needed to handle lto object", and finally "
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Fehler beim kompilieren für das Board Arduino/Genuino Uno.
"

I then re-installed the package on my other MacBook running 10.13, and everything works as expected.
The second installation is english language, while the first was in german, but I can't imagine that this is the reason for the failure.
Is there a compatibility issue with older macOS releases, or even with language versions?
Resp. what can I do to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

pert

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make an attached picture visible: the attached picture show the compiler error messages.
Don't post screenshots of text! That is very unhelpful. It is almost never appropriate to post screenshots but in some cases it is helpful to post images. You should attach and embed the image following these instructions:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=364156

I'd like to use my old MacBook to program the Arduino; it runs macOS X 10.7.5.
The explanation of the problem is detailed here:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/7074
The problem is that the minimum macOS version for the hardware package version you're using is 10.8.

You can downgrade your package version to one that is compatible with your OS version by doing this:
  • Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for download to finish
  • Click on "Arduino AVR Boards"
  • Select 1.6.11 from the "select version" drop down menu
  • Click "Install"
  • Wait for the installation to finish
  • Click the "Close" button

Note that after doing this you may receive notifications that a newer boards package is available. You must not update back to the incompatible version. You can turn off these notifications at File > Preferences > Check for updates at startup (uncheck) > OK.

Christophe59

weedhacker

The monitor is very hard to read when using Arduino IDE. Very low contrast and low brightness. All other programs look very good. After about 10 minutes I get a big headake.

Everything else looks good.

Thank You

Frank

pert

The monitor is very hard to read when using Arduino IDE. Very low contrast and low brightness. All other programs look very good. After about 10 minutes I get a big headake.
There are some alternative themes available. Maybe one of these would be more to your liking:

You can also change the theme however you like. I have written some documentation and a test sketch for the various theme properties in hopes of making this a bit easier:
https://github.com/per1234/ThemeTest

gharvey131

I have a macbook with OS Capitain and I'm having issues with the Arduino  plugin being downloaded. Also when I plug in my board using USB it doesn't register it.

Go Up