Go Down

Topic: Automotive instrument panel GUI (Read 595 times) previous topic - next topic

sablerock

Jan 09, 2017, 05:17 pm Last Edit: Jan 11, 2017, 01:12 pm by sablerock
Guys
Started this project which I thought is very exciting.
Out of my depth..mechanical background.
Is there a similar completed project I can look at?
Its for big heavy machinery.
What kind of display monitor would I need.?

Robin2

Image from Original Post so we don't have to download it. See this  Image Guide

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Robin2

What size do you want the display to be?

It looks to me like the sort of thing I would use a laptop or a tablet for.

As you say it is for heavy machinery maybe you need to buy a very rugged display. I think that would still need the processing power of a PC or a Raspberry PI rather than an Arduino.

There may be a subsidiary role for an Arduino to collect the data.

However attractive the low price might seem a DIY solution is seldom a good idea for a commercial application because there would be no after-sales-support if anything goes wrong after the programmer has left the business.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

sablerock

You are right . This business will probably die with me. But I cant find freely available intelligent systems.
Many components I want to monitor.

Example, if the fuel reaches a certain level, the Arduino must shut down the Diesel injector pump(thus shutting down engine), and display appropriate message.(simple 12v output to diesel pump solenoid).
Another example: If you have difflock engaged and travel faster than 12km/h, the Arduino must de-activate
difflock(remove the 12v from difflock solenoid) and give message.

And so on and on...

My intend was to protect my machines. A blown engine because of operator negligence is very detrimental to cash flow.
Anyway, Because none of the original senders/sensors will be removed, one can simply revert back to analogue type guages.
Size of monitor must be about the size of the picture 200 x 180cm or slightly smaller..and yes rugged will be good but keep in mind these are lumbering beasts. Speed is not a factor.
Would the GUI application be loaded on the Raspberry PI and the data send to the monitor?
I do understand the Arduino will collect all the inputs and pass it on to the Raspberry PI.

PC/laptop is not good idea because of the type of machines involved.
If you can give me an idea what kind display unit I must go and look for,
I will then make a decision on Feasibility and cost/benefit analysis.
Much appreciated.

detown

Have a look at 4D Systems. They have a lot of display options and really nice editor for programing there displays.  http://www.4dsystems.com.au/

Robin2

Would the GUI application be loaded on the Raspberry PI and the data send to the monitor?
Probably, but you need to identify the display first so you know what it requires

If you can give me an idea what kind display unit I must go and look for,
If a tablet would be sufficiently rugged that is probably the simplest option. You might even be able to develop all the software on that and collect data from the Arduino using Bluetooth. Or the RPi could be used to develop a web page and send it to the tablet using WiFi.

If you need something rugged I suggest you Google "rugged LCD display". I have no experience from which to help you.

...R

jas-ad

Jan 25, 2017, 02:03 pm Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 08:07 am by jas-ad
Guys
Started this project which I thought is very exciting.
Out of my depth..mechanical background.
Is there a similar completed project I can look at?
Its for big heavy machinery.
What kind of display monitor would I need.?
I just saw your post, I may be interested in collaborating. I built a very simple set of gauges to mimic a RX8 instrument cluster see my blog post of it working.

sablerock

I saw your work..impressive.
Have a look at my basic diagram.
There is no CAN-BUS.
I dont know what Cortex-m4 or A9 is.
I would love to work with you.
Albert

jas-ad

I saw your work..impressive.
Have a look at my basic diagram.
There is no CAN-BUS.
I dont know what Cortex-m4 or A9 is.
I would love to work with you.
Albert
I would need to find out more about the sensors on the engine to see whats possible. I sent you a PM so that we can discuss.

raschemmel

I don't see a specific question , nor a complete project description. It is not clear what it is you need help with.
ie;
GUI software
Sensor interfacing
Bus networks
or all of the above.
A mechanical background is not sufficient background to attempt such a complex project.
If you are serious about doing it, you need to post a Project Proposal in Word doc form that includes ALL of the I/O, a description of the Bus, including  an explanation of what you understand about Bus I/O at this time. (ie; if nothing, state that).
If your proposal is comprehensive and complete, members can volunteer help with specific parts of it:
ie:
John Doe: " I can help you with Item # 3"
As it stands , unless someone offers to do tge whole project, there is nothing here to work with.
GUI software questions should be dirrected to the DISPLAYS forum. Sensor questions and bus network questions to the General Electronics forum and so on. Without the Propsal doc it's going to be a gane of "20 Question".
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Go Up