Go Down

Topic: IDE causes high cpu / fan usage (Read 7678 times) previous topic - next topic

Coding Badly

Other than the time sponges  in reply #7 I am out of ideas.

DaveEvans

Ok, thanks - I appreciate all the suggestions.  +1

Coding Badly

Jan 14, 2017, 08:08 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2017, 08:09 am by Coding Badly

Well, there is one more thing...

Repeat this but click Show processes from all users...
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=447871.msg3081763#msg3081763

Make certain Java*32 really is the culprit.

I should have had you do that the first time.

DaveEvans

Jan 14, 2017, 07:09 pm Last Edit: Jan 14, 2017, 07:10 pm by DaveEvans
Yes, with "all users," javaw... is still at the top of the heap when the IDE is "just sitting there" (no editing, no compiling, no Boards Manager activity, no serial monitor, etc.)  During a compile, a few others briefly reach the top: arduino-builder, ld, extensa..., but javaw is at the top most of the time.

RichardDL

I have just updated to 1.8.1 and I have the same problem.  I think it used to happen sometimes, but today it's all the time.  As soon as I start the IDE it goes to 42% CPU forever (both cores).  Even without any compile or upload, just leave the IDE sitting there.  Stop the IDE and immediately down to 2%.  I've been around this several times, completely sure it's the IDE doing it.  If I go in device manager and disable 'Bluetooth RFCOMM' and COM1, restart IDE, the CPU is only 18%.  I'd disable all the COM ports, but I need 1 for the Arduino.

I've seen a comment somewhere that there's 'port discovery' and that was/is the problem.  I've looked through all the preferences to see if there's anything that I can turn off, not found anything.

It's really annoying having the fan on full all the time, never mind the power consumption.  I hope someone has a workaround or even a full fix.

ballscrewbob

Jan 28, 2017, 09:35 pm Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 09:40 pm by Ballscrewbob
Win 7 x64 pro on a quad core with IDE 1.8.1
here and just monitored the IDE start up.

Idling at 3% to start
Peaks up to 43% at one point briefly.
IDE fully up idles at 18% max
A Compile peaks at 24% but mostly in the 10-18 % range
Upload peaks at 35% but averages below 20%

Starting solataire peaks at 37% then averages17-20% unles left to idle just as an aside to those worried about consumption.

Whilst nor definitive in any way as each computer you all have will be using different confiurations of software and so subject to differing numbers.
Minor peaks are to be expected during some operations and nothing to be alarmed about.

For those that have consistent high CPU usage you may want to consider what else is running besides the IDE especially anything you dont know about.
Maybe start with a full clean up and security sweep. (dont just rely on whats already on your computer for these tasks)

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

RichardDL

The cpu is at 2%, start the ide 30%, stop IDE 2%.  I've done that several times, it's clear to me the problem is the IDE.

ballscrewbob

I cannot see all your running processes including any hidden ones.
I dont have a benchmark for your computer.
I havent done a security sweep (in depth) of your computer
Nor have I done a comprehensive cleanup for you.
Not being pedantic here just pointing out how hard it is to judge what is and isnt without all the details.
AFAIK 30% could be normal for your system Richard

Could you possibly do a basic speed test with NOVABENCH and post that here then do the following.

A restart between each step may be useful but usually only needed after running WISE

1. Remove any unwanted software and toolbars etc.
2. Go HERE and get CCLEANER and install and run it once at its default settings. (get the free version)
3. Go HERE and get WISE Registry cleaner and run it in DEEP SCAN and let it do its thing.
4. Run CCLEANER again.
5. Restart the computer.

Re-do the speed test and post it.

The next section is up to you but I do reccomend it when I see consisten high CPU usage for no real reason.

a. Run the ESET online scanner until completion and fix any issues it may find.
b. Install Superantispyware and run it and fix any issues it may find (FREE version)
b. Download and run MBAM and fix any issues that may find (free version)
c. Run CCLEANER then WISE REG cleaner and restart.

Redo the speed test and post it.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

RichardDL

I think you haven't thought sufficiently about my last post.  Without the IDE running the computer is using 2%.  I hate repeating myself, but when I start the IDE it goes to 30%, and if I had all the com ports enabled it would be 40%.

ballscrewbob

I think I did which is why I was so specific.

The IDE is not the only thing that uses JAVA on a computer and I was looking to rule out other stuff but hey guess I should not have bothered.

Java itself is not immune to nasties either but I woudnt know that.

RichardDL

I have the IDE's javaw process suspended now, and the fan is quiet.  I'm using an external editor and thinking about unsuspending for compile+upload, maybe I can automate that.

ballscrewbob

Another real easy one with higher than average CPU fan usage is dust bunnies.
Just throwing that one out there.

RichardDL

I still have this problem on 1 PC. Others I've looked at are alright, including one that is nominally the same as the one with the problem.  I suspect it depends on what com ports exist.

ballscrewbob

So what did you do to bring down the usage and is on a desktop or a lappy ?

RichardDL

I'm bumping this thread because the issue is still annoying.  I have this on 2 PCs now, and another 2 are alright.  Of the 4, 3 are almost the same model.  All updated to 1.8.5.

I said in an earlier post that it's worse with more COM ports, and I've looked in Process Monitor: It's constantly reading registry keys about the com port properties.

Does anyone know how to turn this port-scan-rate down?

Go Up