Go Down

Topic: Simple programming of different microcontrollers (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Mixe

I have just sold an invention to a medical company. It's really simple, just based on a blinking LED, a beeping piezo, sleepmode and watchdog timekeeping. Problem is, they loved it and ordered 10.000 units right away.

And I'm in over my depth. I know nothing of large-scale production, but I'm learning. I now need to choose the optimal microcontroller, based on price mainly, and help writing a small enough program to fit on it. It should be easy enough for anyone who knows programming for real.

This could mean programming a PICs or an ATtiny. Naturally, I'm fully prepared to pay for help. With one condition: that the help is also a teaching process and I get to ask a lot of newbie questions :). I really want to learn this, but there are steps that's very hard to climb without guidance and explanations.

PaulS

help writing a small enough program to fit on it.
Personally, I would be choosing a microcontroller that would run the code I already have. YMMV.

that the help is also a teaching process and I get to ask a lot of newbie questions
No problem for me. I have more fun doing something when someone else is interested in doing the same thing.

I read your whole post twice, and I still can't see a question, or what you want from us.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

6v6gt

You've already created a prototype, shown it to the customer, agreed a price and accepted an order for 10,000 items?

Mixe

Personally, I would be choosing a microcontroller that would run the code I already have. YMMV.
Yes, I would like that too. But since this is a very simple product with need for very low production cost per unit, the prize of components is a real issue. So the difference between $0.4 (ATtiny4) and $1.7 (ATtiny25) for the microcontroller amounts to the difference between $4000 and $17000 for this batch alone, just for that single component.

I read your whole post twice, and I still can't see a question, or what you want from us.
I'm sorry if it was unclear, even if I really don't understand why that is, reading my post myself. It's not really a "please help me with this code-snippet"-kind of post. Then I would have posted in the regular forum. This is an advert to find a programmer/EE that can help me industrializing my prototype. For a fee.

You've already created a prototype, shown it to the customer, agreed a price and accepted an order for 10,000 items?
Yes, exactly. The prize and nr of units is still kind of floating, since I have to evaluate the actual cost of production per unit after the proof-of-concept prototype have been industrialized. But based on a prize-per-unit of around €2.5, that's the order.

Paul_KD7HB

I am concerned for your sanity. Did you get a purchase order? Was it signed by an officer of the company? Did you get a deposit?

In this country, a purchase order not signed by an officer of the company can be disavowed at any time with no repercussions. A contract signed by a company officer and a partial payment is binding on them to complete the transaction.

Are there delivery dates for the product? Can you afford to purchase all the components and pay to have them assembled and the product tested?

Does the product have any clocking frequency of 400 KHz or greater? If so, must be certified by a lab that is will have RF emissions below specific values set by the FCC.

Does the order specify delivery dates and quantities for those dates? Can you meet those dates? Is the purchaser a relative of yours?

Paul

Mixe

Thank you Paul for the kind concern for my sanity.

I'm based in Sweden, and I have been running a service company here for 15 years. So even if this is a learning experience production wise, I have a relatively good grasp of doing business in this country.

All those questions are valid, of course, but not really something I seek to discuss on this forum. This is an advert for help with coding.
But as I wrote, thank you for your concern.

Paul_KD7HB

Thank you Paul for the kind concern for my sanity.

I'm based in Sweden, and I have been running a service company here for 15 years. So even if this is a learning experience production wise, I have a relatively good grasp of doing business in this country.

All those questions are valid, of course, but not really something I seek to discuss on this forum. This is an advert for help with coding.
But as I wrote, thank you for your concern.
Good to know! You have it well under control. Good luck with the product.

Paul

SamIAm93

How much space does your current program use?

Mixe

How much space does your current program use?
It uses aproximately 960 b. I can make it a bit smaller by skipping setup() and loop() and go straight for main(), but not much. It uses some libraries like sleep and wdt, but they are not very big.

Go Up