Go Down

Topic: The Not-so-amazing Disappearing ESP8266 (Read 8528 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Mar 19, 2017, 11:21 pm Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:23 pm by Ballscrewbob

I cannot reproduce the effect here under win 7 x64 pro, Server 2013, or windows XP, and at least 4 IDE versions.

If I KILL my internet, perform a full shut down and re-start of the computers here I still have ESP's available on starting those IDE's.

Only way I can think of (under windows at least) is that some people have a setting or clean up tools or similar that nails the contents of specific folders on exit.

Seems to be limited to a very very very small amount of people going on the reports in here so might be hard for others to also re-produce

BTW screen caps under windows is scary easy..ALT, PRT SCR for the active window.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

gelfling6

Okay, touche on the screen capture.. 
It not cleaning the directories, or files.. they are still there, but when the IDE fails to obtain the json file, it seems to stop loading the location of the board definitions past the regular AVR set (according to board manager), but if I am connected online, and it does a query for the json file, the definitions for the 8266 boards are added to the boards list again.

ballscrewbob

Ok so "what"is not cleaning directories or files ?

Which particular files ?

It does sound like a semi locked down computer that is not allowing files to stay as it thinks they have changed (which is true)
That could be down to a setting or policy enforced on some networks by an IT administrator.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Arduinosite

I understand that this subject is possible close but I would like to mention that I too have similar effects from my ide and board manager. What I have noticed is when I disconnect from the internet but still work via my wifi router thereafter not only does the 8266 boards disappear but also any other boards that was loaded via the manager for example the attiny 25/45/85 boards.I can work for days without any problems if I stay away from the router. It would appear board manager tries to check for updates and being unable to connect via the internet then aborts and those files disappear. With the next connection to internet the files are restored. This operation does not seem to happen when when working iso ie not with router connected. It is rather anoying when I would want to test a connection to a 8266 via the router just to find that next boot or board change only to find the bear ide available without the added installed boards via the manager. If someone is still following this I would like to hear of any possible fixes or what I am doing wrong.

Go Up