Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Melody Player Visualizer  (Read 801 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So I cleaned up and modified the melody example sketch to play my own melody. Its going fine and sounds pretty damn cool. I've tried to add a "visualizer" led for each note that stays on for the entire note and is off in the time between the note. The furthest I could get was having the led blink once at the beggining of the note. Any tips?

Note: I've very easily done it by simply hooking the led up in series with the peizo, but i want to do it using a seperatae pin (i.e. on the software side of things.

heres the code

Code:
/*A simple program that plays Zelda'a Lulluby using a peizo speaker. Also has adjustable volume and speed using potentiometers. Pitch modification is also in the works.
HOOKUP: Pot 1 lead A hooked up to digital pin 8. Sweeper to positive of peizo. Lead B to ground. Peizo negative to ground. Pot 2 lead A hooked up to 5V. Sweeper to analog 0. Lead B to ground.   */

#include "pitches.h";                                                 //Include the file pitches.h which assigns specific frequencies to notes the peizo should play

int melody[] = {                                                      //Define the melody as being the notes following using those defined in pitches.h
NOTE_E4, NOTE_G4, NOTE_D4, NOTE_C4, NOTE_D4,
NOTE_E4, NOTE_G4, NOTE_D4,   0,     NOTE_E4,
NOTE_G4, NOTE_D5, NOTE_C5, NOTE_G4, NOTE_F4,
NOTE_E4, NOTE_D4,    0,    NOTE_E4, NOTE_G4,
NOTE_D4, NOTE_C4, NOTE_D4, NOTE_E4, NOTE_G4,
NOTE_D4,    0,    NOTE_E4, NOTE_G4, NOTE_D5,
NOTE_C5, NOTE_G4};

int noteDurations[] = {                                               //Define the note durations, 1 to 1 with melody    1 = 8 beats
  2,4,2,8,8,                                                          //                                                 2 = 4 beats (whole note)
  2,4,2,4,2,                                                          //                                                 4 = 2 beats (half note)
  4,2,4,2,8,                                                          //                                                 8 = 1 beats (quarter note)
  4,1 };

int sensorPin = 0;                                                    //Define the analog (pot.) input pin
int sensorValue = 2000;                                               //Establish the default sensor value
int ledPin = 13;                                                      //Define the pin the led is on

void setup()
 {
  pinMode(ledPin,OUTPUT);                                             //make the led pin an output
 }

void loop() {
   for (int thisNote = 0; thisNote < 32; thisNote++)                  //Make the note to be played #0. For each note value below "32," do the below and increase the note number by 1
   {              
    sensorValue = analogRead(sensorPin);                              //Read the sensor pin in analog (actual value vs 1 or 0) and make the sensor value equal to that reading
    int noteDuration = sensorValue*3/noteDurations[thisNote];         //Make the duration of each note (in milliseconds) twice the sensor value divided by the note durations previously established
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);                                       //Make the digital pin that the led is on HIGH, or 5V (basically: turn the led on)
    tone(8, melody[thisNote],noteDuration);                           //Play a tone with certain pararmeters: from melody, use note #X (accoring to the first line) with the previously calculated note duration
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);                                        //Make the digital pin that the led is on LOW, or 0V (basically: turn the led off)
    int pauseBetweenNotes = noteDuration * 1.30;                      //Make the pause between notes 1.3 times the duration of the previous note
    delay(pauseBetweenNotes);                                         //Wait the previously calculated pause between notes before starting the next cycle and playing the next note
   }
}

the analog is for modifying speed, no issues with that
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:39:43 pm by cubemike99 » Logged

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Which version of the IDE are you using? There have been some changes to the tone library, so that, I believe, the tone function is non-blocking (that is, it starts playing the note, but returns right away, rather than when the note finishes playing).

You might need to add
Code:
delay(noteDuration);
after the tone() call, and change the second delay (after turning the led off) to noteDuration * 0.30.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yeah, I began to suspect that the Arduino started the tone and let it finish while it went on to the next line. Thanks for the reply though. It's such an elegant solution. I'll try it out went I have access to my Arduino.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: