Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Switching from Arduino to straight AVR-C  (Read 6804 times)
UK
God Member
Twitter: @simonmonk2
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

If your main reason for feeling limited is the difficulty of editing large files, then try Arduino with Eclipse.

Eclipse is open source and must be about the most used integrated development environment in the world. Its built for big files.

I have not tried using Eclipse with Arduino, but I have heard its possible.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:15:41 am by simon.monk » Logged

--
My New Arduino Book: http://www.arduinobook.com

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

Ok... my point didn't come accross.

Have you tried the other way around?

write something like

setup(){}

outside main() in C and still work?

True, you can use all the registers to configure the Arduino chip in Arduino, but do you? I was trying to point out that once the Arduino IDE is left, you really need to know which register does what. And what about dependencies? I mean, you can configure the chip your own way, but you decide to use one of the Arduino objects that interfere with a timer or a pin... what then?

I'm not dissing Arduino, I'm just trying to point out the differences between them to the average user. That's it.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

Ok, you are right.  They made it too easy...

So maybe with a little explanation....  some progress can be made.

Here is a place to start: (I sorted of hinted at this earlier)

Joe really has figured this all out for us.

http://smileymicros.com/blog/2010/10/03/42/

And for even more fun... check out his articles in NUTS&VOLTS Magazine... or check out one of his downloads: http://smileymicros.com/download/Workshop%2010%20Source%20Code.zip for some interesting reading.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:32:36 am by pwillard » Logged

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

It was the objective of the thread...

It is true that it's really easy to get one and start writing something to turn our idea into reality. And Arduino serves its purpose brilliantly, but if someone wants to use C, then they need to be aware of everything that is behind the curtains in Arduino... because even the most basic things in arduino have some knowledge behind. The setup() and loop() functions, setting a pin, etc, etc...

And I'll confess, although not liking the language it is my prime choice to troubleshoot known hardware connected to the arduino. I mean, there it is, already implemented and tested by thousands of people... so every time I get some new hardware connected to the board, I pick up an example and run it to make sure everything's good with the hardware and if some problems appear with the C software, it is definitely a software problem. smiley

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Does the title imply that there's a gay AVR-C?

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Dallas
nephew as a kittens
View Profile

Code:
First you say "Arduino is the only language I "know"." And later on you say that programs should be compiled through the command line. If you only know Arduino, how do you know that compiling through the command line is better ?
How do you even know C is better?

I have more experience with Arduino than anything else. I have written Java and perl before, but my biggest projects are in Arduino.

Code:
So why do I prefer Arduino?   Because it is all about rapid development and turning an idea into reality... fast.

Right, that's why I started using it, but now my programs are big, bloated, and in multiple versions for multiple slightly different applications.

Code:
IDE... who cares... so it's not Visual Studio quality... I always look at it like "you get what you pay for" and this was free... so why complain.
C and vi are free too.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I didn't even started to learn the Arduino language

And I'll confess, although not liking the language

OK, I guess the root of my complaint is the use of the term "Arduino language". There is no Arduino language, it's use the gcc C/C++ language.

The Arduino IDE and core files do add prepossessing steps, predefined functions and libraries and configuration setups, and more, but it is not programmed in a different language. And so many newcomers come to this forum saying or asking that they would like to use an Arduino board but they want to only program it with the C/C++ language. So then some of us, maybe only me, go WTF is he talking about.  ;D

Lefty
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:07:09 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

Ditto what Retro says.

wxDEVC++ is my preferred tool for windows...   I'm good with free.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: