Go Down

Topic: Oscilloscope Recommendation  (Read 2444 times) previous topic - next topic

allanhurst

Depends on your budget and your needs.

I've used Tek 20GHz sampling scopes and 2GHz 4-channel LeCroy WaveRunners- well outside my home budget!

For years I got by with 50MHz Philips PM3217 2-channel analog scope. A decent scope for it's day.

All tradeoffs.

How many pennies do you want to spend?

Allan

ChrisTenone

Totally agree.

For hobby use i have a 50 MHz 30 year old tektronix 2225.

They can be found on ebay for $80 working.

Downside is shipping and it is much better if you can collect to verify operation.
I have access to sophisticated test equipment but the no of times i have needed it can be counted on one hand.
Better i think to save the money for a data analyser.

Oh ... ma god! I was gonna be embarrassed, but I have and use that very scope. In fact, I have 12 of them for school. The upside is, that when you explain how the CRT works to students, they say something like: "That's a cool technology! I never heard of it."
Atmosphere carries combustion vapors to places where they will do good instead of harm - Mike Faraday's 'History of a Candle': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

Whoops ::)

jackrae

Don't tell them there's strontium on the heater, it'll freak out the anti-nuke brigade

tinman13kup

"That's a cool technology! I never heard of it."
They should see those cool transistors in glass tubes with the night light inside.

Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

MarkT

Mar 04, 2017, 04:11 pm Last Edit: Mar 04, 2017, 04:12 pm by MarkT
Don't tell them there's strontium on the heater, it'll freak out the anti-nuke brigade
thorium is radioactive, not strontium.  I think you are cofusing fission products from naturally occuring isotopes.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Resinator

Scopes are really dropping in price these days

I have used a lot of different scopes in my time, I got lumbered with a Siglent scope a couple of months back at an EMC test house and it was not very nice, maybe it was just through abuse but it was pants

I have a number of Agilent scopes (now Keysight) and I am bordering on fanboy!, they are brilliant, its who Rigol are copying, Rigol are OK  have their bench multimeter and its useful

Have you guys seen these

http://uk.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/edux1002a/digital-storage-osc-50mhz-2-ch/dp/2690190

New out, only £337 which is an amazing price

If I was buying a cheap scope thats what I would buy, for quality versus price I think its unbeatable

MarkT

Talking of 'scopes, a mind numbing glipse of the state of the art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3w_EWgGQuk
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

jackrae

Mark,

No confusion on my part, worked many years in the nuclear industry. 
But myths start from someone hearing or reading about a material and then going gaga because what they think isn't what 's fact.  Ask Donald !

DocStein99

When I was shopping for my scope, I was naturally confused with all the different types and scared by the cost.  I don't know how they worked, what's going on with the analog crt style ones - if I can freeze the waves on the screen or send that data to a computer to take snapshots or I needed to take a picture using a camera.

If I saw it had a usb port and an LCD display, I just figured it had all the capturing, and freezing I needed.  And like it was explained in the previous posts, the little basic starter ones seem to do everything I need to test for, since I'm not designing satellite uplink antenna's for NASA, or helping motorolla make their new line of CPU's.

I wasn't trained on what to look for, or used good ones and know the difference.  All I can do is hook mine up to pwm outputs and stick different capacitors in different spots and shape the shakey wave into a clean looking square.

The PROBES for expensive scopes can actually cost $400 just for them!  I have absolutely no idea what the difference in measuring signals would be for this probe that came with my used scope for $150 - or the signal I would get from a scope that costs who-knows-what, using $400 probes.

MarkT

You seem to be confusing thoriated cathodes with strontium phosphors in CRTs.

Thorium containing tungsten heaters are longer lived and were commonly used in high power
tubes and electron guns to give the tube a long operating life.

Strontium is a stable naturally occuring element that burns with a red flame.
Strontium-90 is another matter, but is not used in the manufacturer of anything!

Strontium can be used instead of barium as a getter, but its less effective.

ChrisTenone

Strontium is all over the place - it gives road flares and fireworks their red color. It's my favorite alkaline earth metal, brittle as all get out. But don't leave it open to the air, it'll turn to SrO dust in a week.
Atmosphere carries combustion vapors to places where they will do good instead of harm - Mike Faraday's 'History of a Candle': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

Whoops ::)

MarkT

And the only element named after a place in the UK.  It had (still has?) a fascinating use in the refining of sugar!

RichMarkley

As Resinator mentioned, scopes are really dropping in price these days. Even the major manufacturers, such as Tek, Keysight, and Rohde&Schwarz are offering scopes that are a good value. As for the choice between a two-channel, 100 MHz oscilloscope and a four-channel, 50 MHz scope, go for the 100 MHz scope. You'll rarely need more than two channels, and the 100 MHz bandwidth scope will allow you to make more and more accurate measurements than the 50 MHz scope. The RTC1000 from R&S likely has all the capabilities you'll need to design and debug microcontroller systems, including logic analyzer, protocol analyzer, and waveform and pattern generator options. Good luck! If you've already picked, what did you choose?

Go Up