Go Down

Topic: Linux: serial port enumeration suggestion (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

mellis

Yea, although it would be nice if the serial numbers didn't have any non-printing characters in them.

kg4wsv

it would be nice if the serial numbers didn't have any non-printing characters in them.

Yeah, that's no fun.

If you have access to a windows box, you can download a windows-only utility from FTDI to assign/change the serial number.  It's not exactly straighforward, but I have used it to assign serial numbers to unserialized devices (that are completely unrelated to the Arduino, I should add).

-j

mellis

That's cool.  Do you know the name of the utility or how to use it?  That would be great for people having trouble talking to the Arduino with serproxy or other programs that need to know the name of the device.  It would be cool have that written up on the playground.

kg4wsv

The name of the utility is MProg.  It's mentioned on this web page, the current download link is here.  It isn't terribly straightforward, and IIRC required loading the FTDI "direct" driver, which is readily available but not the driver people generally use (the VCP - virtual com port - driver is more common.)

When I get the current project out of the way I'll try to make time to assign a new serial number to my Arduino just for fun, and document it along the way.  I can't take a chance on bricking it just now.  :)

-j

mellis

Awesome, thanks for the info, it'd be great if you can try it out when you have a chance.

Go Up