Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println(num1,DEC);
  Serial.println(num2,DEC);
  delay(1000);
}

The output from my NG (compiled with 0007) is:

num2 is obviously right, num1 isn't.  The corresponding case for ints doesn't seem to have the same problem.  sizeof() shows they are both 4 bytes, so it shouldn't be overflowing.  However, if I do 10 * 160 * 20 (== 32000) it works fine, so I'm deducing the existence of an intermediate int somewhere in the compiler....

du

The simplest possible example above was posted after a couple hours of tearing my hair out.  Later I realized that even assigning 10 * 60 * 60 to num1 at runtime also had the problem.  So it may not be a compiler issue, but it's still whack.

kg4wsv

long contstants need an L at the end, e.g.  lnum = 1000000L;

In the case of the expression, typecast it, e.g. lnum2 = (long int) (10 * 60 * 60);

-j

du

I guess my C is rustier than I thought.  Still, it's a little odd that I got away with 36000 with no 'L' but I didn't get away with 10 * 60 * 60.  Also, gcc-avr (if that's the culprit) must be less forgiving than regular gcc, since I tried this in a regular program and it worked fine.  Are warnings suppressed by the Arduino IDE?

kg4wsv

Still, it's a little odd that I got away with 36000 with no 'L' but I didn't get away with 10 * 60 * 60.

Well, 36000 is > 32767 which is the largets int you can have, so gcc probably just assumed it was a long since it wouldn't fit in an int (this is just a guess on my part).

I tried this in a regular program and it worked fine.

The size of an int vs. a long int may be different on a different architecture.  Your computer most likely has ints and long ints the same size (32 bits), whereas the AVR has 16 bit ints and 32 bit long ints.

-j

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy