Go Down

Topic: Arduino 0010 running on Mac OS X 10.2.8 (success!) (Read 902 times) previous topic - next topic

follower

Hi,

I've been slumming it on a Mac OS X 10.2.8 machine lately and was disappointed to discover it appeared running Arduino on it wasn't an option. Being somewhat stubborn and somewhat of a masochist I decided to see what could be done about it.  :-)

I had seen a reference to a fix for 10.2 (I think it came from the Processing code) in the IDE source which surprised me a little but made me wonder what parts of Arduino would run on 10.2 successfully. (The FTDI driver also seemed to be 10.2 compatible.)

It turns out the 0010 IDE runs on 10.2 without any issues at all, but when you try to compile anything it fails.

Long story short, it turns out that avr-gcc 4.x and other tools as compiled aren't compatible with 10.2 and in fact it seems avr-gcc 4.x can't be compiled for 10.2 at all. (Or at least no one seems to have gotten it to do so.)

But, it turns out that avr-gcc 3.x can be compiled for OS X 10.2 and once it's patched to support new devices it also works for Atmega168 code compilation. Using a 3.x gcc version is apparently a valid solution because I'm told some distributions of Linux such as Gentoo only ship with 3.x and Arduino runs there. (Which does make me wonder why the Mac version ships with 4.x gcc--of note is the fact the avrdude supplied ran without modification.)

Much more detail can be found on my web page about Arduino 0010 on Mac OS 10.2 and I also uploaded an archive with the Arduino IDE and tool binaries in it: Arduino 0010 binary for Mac OS X 10.2

I'd be interested to hear if others had success with this.

--Phil.

mellis

It's awesome that you got it running.  Thanks for sharing this with the rest of the community.

I don't think official support for Mac OS X 10.2 is likely.  Newer versions of the Apple developer tools can't even target it, so we'd need to find a computer running 10.2 to do the compilation on.  Plus, I think there's hardly anyone using it anymore.

follower

Newer versions of the Apple developer tools can't even target it, so we'd need to find a computer running 10.2 to do the compilation on.

Where does the avrdude build come from? It ran without modification which led me to believe it was built differently to the other tools.

Plus, I think there's hardly anyone using it anymore.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of 10.2 machines are still in use in educational institutes...

But no matter, another challenge conquered, things learned and if someone else benefits that's just a bonus... :-)

--Phil.

Go Up