Go Down

Topic: Ip Logged > Why? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

lilpunk1302

I would assume it does,

These days, pretty much all sites, especially "boxed" ones (Forum platforms, Wordpress, etc)

There's very little reason to not track it, an Ip is only 12 numbers tops, and takes up very little space in a database.

As far as postitives, tracking returning, unique, registered users,

Reporting suicidal videos to cops(Guy that hung himself live on Stickam)

etc.

tehboii

And anyway, the webserver does log any activity. Even if the forum app didn't store IPs, it would be easy to associate an IP to a certain post/action using only the Apache (for arduino.cc) logs.
... could use some sleep

lilpunk1302

And anyway, the webserver does log any activity. Even if the forum app didn't store IPs, it would be easy to associate an IP to a certain post/action using only the Apache (for arduino.cc) logs.

Not always.

Again, it all depends on the site admin, but some people disable/never enable the logging.

tehboii

Jun 05, 2008, 04:22 pm Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 04:34 pm by tehboii Reason: 1
It is certainly possible, but I don't know of any production server which don't log. Of course, those I know represents an extremely small part of the total amount of production webservers ;) But logs are too helpful on too many things to seriously considerer working without them, except maybe in some special cases, but I can't think of any.

To come back to the original question, I tend to believe that the little "IP Logged" logo refers to an actual function of the yaBB engine, and isn't only a graphic gimmick.
... could use some sleep

lilpunk1302

I get the feeling YaBB Was developed during the "dark age" of the internet, before everything was being logged.
(Was there a time like this?)

So they developed in the thing the "reassured" users their safety.

And just hasn't been taken out in future versions.

As far as it needing to be there for internal functions, 90% sure it doesn't, PHP doesn't all have to be shown,  if you wanted to, you could make a 5 page log php site which calculates the values of 500 variables, which it never actually shows anywhere.

Go Up