Go Down

Topic: Why is direct programing via AVR ISP MKII so slow? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I've noticed even really small programs (1192 bytes) take a lot longer to download when I program the chip (ATMega16) via my AVR ISP MKII (90 seconds) than when I download the same program via the bootloader (about 15 seconds.)  It's almost as if the direct option is programming the full 16K program space.  Or, perhaps it's using a very slow transfer speed.  I'd like to speed this up, but I don't know where to look.  Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I'm using 0012.

The AVRISP mkII has some speed / bit delay option that apparently comes from the factory with a random setting (e.g. really slow).  You can adjust it with AVR Studio.

If you're a non-windows user, you can also set it with avrdude.  Sorry, I don't recall how to do it at the moment, but I had to do the same with mine and successfully used avrdude on the mac to speed things up.

Sorry, I should have specified I'm running on a Mac, so I'm not sure how to use AVRStudio.  If someone knows how to set this some other way, please let me know.  Thanks.

I googled "avrispmkii slow avrdude" and this was the second hit: http://www.lesto.com/andrewn/avr01.html #5 on that page says

Problem 5:  Slow ISP Programmer.
     AVRISPmkII was factory configured with a very slow SCK delays.

Run avrdude in terminal mode and talk to the programmer to change the delay .

$ avrdude -p m16 -c avrispmkII -b 115200 -P usb -tuF
                  wait for it to prompt you then:
     > sck 10
     > quit

Thanks kg4wsv!  That was exactly what I needed.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131