Go Down

Topic: Arduino write to system.log on OS X? (Read 414 times) previous topic - next topic

bxd

I'm running Arduino 10 on OS X, and I have a timing loop running and printing serial messages.  I noticed my macbook fan started to spin up and looked into activity monitor to discover syslogd chugging away at 100% cpu.  Why?  Because Arduino is logging every serial message to system.log, keeping syslogd very busy.

Why does the Arduino sw do this?  Can this be disabled?  Even after I stopped the hardware syslogd was busy for a while, since I had so many messages buffered up (over 15MB of log for a few minutes of running, it was a fast loop!)

mellis

I think this is a consequence of how Processing (which Arduino is based on) handles the console: if I remember correctly, it prints messages to standard out, then catches those and displays them in the console.  I think Mac OS X puts anything printed to standard out from an Application into the system log.  

phineus

Yeah, this is super-annoying.  As long as you don't open the debug console it doesn't happen.  But as soon as you want to view debug messages the fan starts screaming and the CPU is hogged - sort of like negative reinforcement for debugging.  :(  I wonder if there's a way to avoid this?   :-/

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy