Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Spam fighting request  (Read 3020 times)
New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

From the point of view of the core team, Arduno is their baby, the built it up, and it's very hard to let go of control.
Okay, so I guess I had hoped that isn't the reason.

I know what it's like to transition a project to grow it and I know it's not easy. But I'm kinda concerned if we can't even move to enabling spam deletion. The forums are part of the community and IMHO we have all built that.

I'd say just be patient right now, they are dealing with the spam.
From my point of view it's not the first time the issue been raised and I don't think the spam is being dealt with--there's been certain posts that have stayed around for 2-3 days without being deleted--despite being marked as SPAM.

The only real downside right now is they're spending time that could go into helping users or further developing Ardunio on deleting spam.
While that's one downside it's not the only one--it takes more time to mark something as SPAM than it does to delete it.

Should a mod only delete spam or a grossly off-topic thread?  Where do you draw the line?  
As far as I'm concerned I'm only interested in deleting spam. Grossly off-topic threads can already be dealt with by community nudges in the right direction.

I'm not wanting to come across as a jerk but I would like to know if we're likely to see any change in this because IMHO it's an unnecessary negative in the community.

--Phil.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I also find the spam objectionable.

There are technical solutions and volunteers - why not use them?

Mike

View Profile

It really does seem to be getting worse, why not address it now?  I've skipped wading through the messages several times in the last week due to the spam content.

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

Okay, this is getting ridiculous, there was so much spam today that when I was marking it I got given this message!

Preview - The last POST request from your IP was less than 5 seconds ago, and was blocked to prevent overloading the forum. Please try later.
This would all be fractionally less irritating if it was possible for a normal user to change the subject used in the thread listing but AFAICT the only way to make it obvious to others that a thread is spam would be to change to using a differently named user account.

What do we have to do for this to be taken seriously?

--Phil.

London
Faraday Member
Have fun!
View Profile

Spam is pushing real posts off the 'recent' list  making it inconvenient to find new posts. Can the 'action= recent' count be increased to some number that allows viewing of posts over at least the last hour and ideally the last 12  hours or so.

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

This is getting really bad, we're past the point of it "not being a huge problem"  and might be getting to that "90% spam 10% content ratio" that Massimo talked about.

FWIW, I'm willing to help any way I can.

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

You may have noticed mellis has made me a moderator on the hardware interfacing forum where most of the spam has been. I've deleted a bunch already today.

While this isn't a long term solution it's better than what we've had.

I suggested it would be good to have at least one other moderator added.

Thanks mellis for organising this, it's greatly appreciated.

--Phil.

London
Faraday Member
Have fun!
View Profile

You may have noticed mellis has made me a moderator on the hardware interfacing forum where most of the spam has been. I've deleted a bunch already today.

While this isn't a long term solution it's better than what we've had.

I suggested it would be good to have at least one other moderator added.

Thanks mellis for organising this, it's greatly appreciated.

--Phil.

Phil, the improvement was almost immediatly noticeable, thanks for volunteering. I will help out if no-one else steps up. It would be useful if the other mod was in a very different time zone to you, are you are in the US?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:11:34 am by mem » Logged

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

Phil, the improvement was almost immediatly noticeable, thanks for volunteering. I will help out if no-one else steps up. It would be useful if the other mod was in a very different time zone to you, are you are in the US?

I did notice the improvement right away, even without knowing it was Phil at work.  It's so nice to go to that forum and not see spam as the top 20 posts.

I wouldn't mind helping, but you're right about the time zone issue and I am in Canada.

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

first let me thank the spam fighters for doing a fine job.

I happen to know that as of YaBB 2.2.3 it is possible to require admin approval of new registrations.
I'm not saying this will cut down spam to 0, but it would keep those characters from getting in at all.
right now it's just register, wait for the forum's email, click and you're in. ready to spam in less than 5 minutes.
I know this would shift some work onto the main admins (doing the upgrade of course), but it's worth a shot.
as far as I've red, this confirmation mode also requires the aspirants to write a short statement as to why they want to get in.
surely a monologue about the amenities of V 1 A G R 4 or similar will not work here :-)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:53:47 am by madworm » Logged

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

It would be useful if the other mod was in a very different time zone to you, are you are in the US?
That is a good suggestion. I'm in New Zealand--I guess that suggests perhaps someone in the East Coast of the US or in Europe. (Well, apart from the fact I don't exactly keep 9-5 hours. smiley)

--Phil.

P.S. Thanks all for the positive feedback. :-)

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

I happen to know that as of YaBB 2.2.3 it is possible to require admin approval of new registrations.
I'm keen to minimise the impact on legitimate new (or existing) users. If things get "bad enough" I guess we could consider moderation of initial messages but my suggestion would be to see how long the "deletion regime" remains effective.

--Phil.

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

I'm keen to minimise the impact on legitimate new (or existing) users. If things get "bad enough" I guess we could consider moderation of initial messages but my suggestion would be to see how long the "deletion regime" remains effective.

I tend to agree, if the sign-up process is too invasive, I generally don't sign up for a site.  One forum I'm on has an initial period where you can't post links, can't sent private messages, etc.  I think their threshold is 10 legit posts.  

But for now I'm just enjoying my spam-free Arduino experience, so thank you, Phil smiley.

And for the record, I'm in Eastern time in Canada smiley-wink

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

I'm keen to minimise the impact on legitimate new (or existing) users

I wasn't talking about gagging new users, I just wanted to point out that with an update of YaBB to 2.2.3 it is possible to prevent this:

10: user applies for new account
20: current YaBB _automatically_ accepts that
30: user clicks on a link in the email
40: voila: valid account
50: SPAM SPAM SPAM
60: goto 10

if admins must confirm creation on new forum accounts, this process can be slowed down a lot.

I bet I could create accounts faster than any admin can delete them right now...
all I'm saying is that currently this forum is WIDE OPEN for spammers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:12:25 pm by madworm » Logged

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

I'm keen to minimise the impact on legitimate new (or existing) users
(...snip...)

if admins must confirm creation on new forum accounts, this process can be slowed down a lot.
That's the impact I'm keen to minimise. :-) At the moment I would consider the impact of having new users wait outweighs the benefit of stopping a few spammer accounts. This could change in the future.  YMMV.

--Phil.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: