Spam fighting request

I'm ok to help follower on the de-spam task. I'm in Europe (France), and I check the forum at least each hour.
Cheers

I check the forum at least each hour.

You're even more of an addict than me! :slight_smile:

--Phil.

I check the forum at least each hour.

You're even more of an addict than me! :slight_smile:

--Phil.

Only once an hour, sigh! I think I need a 12 step program (written in C++ of course) :wink:

[You're even more of an addict than me! :slight_smile:
--Phil.

I just read something about that. Supposedly it's the same sort of addiction as a slot player. Each time you visit it's like pulling the handle, and the jackpot is a good posting to reply to.

--Phil.

I just read something about that. Supposedly it's the same sort of addiction as a slot player. Each time you visit it's like pulling the handle, and the jackpot is a good posting to reply to.

does that one count?

--Phil.

does that one count?

and now ?

LOL, yeah I've seen email and web browsing described in the same way.

Slightly back on topic, I've had a couple of PMs regarding the level of discourse in a recent thread.

I'm keen for us to maintain our current community "policing" of standards and not become the local deputy but leave that role to the existing global moderators.

I see myself as a moderator purely for anti-spam purposes--is that the current expectation?

--Phil.

P.S. ka-ching

The neighborhood is usually quite orderly. I think theres a single exception at the moment taking up space and it would be a shame if it became the norm.

Personally I'm not here often enough to notice the goings ons, but the spam however is evident each time I visit. So in order of priority, I guess spam would have to be at the very top.

The new YaBB seems to have some anti-spam measures, but I'm not sure that they're working right. I got a "you're posting too fast, you might be a spammer" warning on using the PREVIEW function, and PREVIEW also seems to change the POST button to WAIT. Also, after getting the warning and going BACK to continue/retry, I was stuck at a page where neither the PREVIEW nor POST buttons seemed to work any more. (Copy, back to forum, retry-reply, paste, wait, post... worked ok.)

Yeah, I've been having trouble with them as well. We will keep tweaking the settings.

What's with the quote button ?

Have you tried mod_sec?

:slight_smile:

No.

And if I were thick in the head I'd immediately ask why and how an apache module influenced said button. ::slight_smile:

Sorry, that was for Mellis

:slight_smile:

I know ;D

Just couldn't resist.

lol ;D

let's make it official

@mellis: Have you tried mod_sec?

The server was having several issues last week

No, what does it do?

It is basically something "like" SELinux or AppArmour for apache. A bunch (actually many) core rules are provided for checking http requests, code insertion hacks and so on. Didn't check if it also provides some anti D.O.S. features. Seems like a bitch to configure. There's also a rule generator which scans logfiles and is supposed to learn what's normal, but again a lot of reading I think. Some of the docs talk about tomcat java application servers accessed by apache. Sounds like big business web servers to me.

p.s. Hey, this swear word filter just zapped "hctib" :slight_smile:

@Mellis

mod_sec is like an application firewall for apache

When used correctly it can really cut down on forum spammers, injection attacks and all kinds of nasty things

/me recommends it :slight_smile: