Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino-0012 freezes  (Read 430 times)
Gameboy Genius
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm trying to use the Arduino-0012 software on Windows XP. My problem is that whenever I choose verify (Even with an empty text box) the program hangs indefinitely. The problem actually seems to have to do with compiler alone. When quitting the program normally without hitting the verify button, it leaves an orphan avr-gcc process, which seems to be hung up. (Stays indefinitely, uses no CPU power)
So I looked up the command line of that process using Process Explorer.

"C:\Program Files\arduino-0012\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc" -c -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=16000000L "-IC:\Program Files\arduino-0012\hardware\cores\arduino" -Ihardware\libraries\Wire -Ihardware\libraries\EEPROM -Ihardware\libraries\Ethernet -Ihardware\libraries\Firmata -Ihardware\libraries\LiquidCrystal -Ihardware\libraries\Matrix -Ihardware\libraries\Servo -Ihardware\libraries\SoftwareSerial -Ihardware\libraries\Sprite -Ihardware\libraries\Stepper -Ihardware\libraries\Wire -Ihardware\libraries\Wire\utility hardware\libraries\Wire\utility\twi.c -ohardware\libraries\Wire\utility\twi.o

I tried executing this command from command line, and about 50% of the times it executes correctly (Uses some CPU and returns in less than a second) and in the other cases it freezes, and isn't using any CPU. I can Ctrl+C to quit avr-gcc, but it still leaves an orphan as.exe.

So my possible conclusion is a broken pipe between avr-gcc and the assembler. Did anyone else experience this?

Blog: Gameboy Genius - My Lo-fi Crap

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Hmm, my initial guess would be some sort of security program / firewall that somehow prevents certain programs from spawning other programs.  What security software are you running?

Gameboy Genius
View Profile

Comodo firewall. I've added all files in the Arduino directory and subdirectories to the safe list and even disabled Defense+. (The part of the program that handles execution of files)
What puzzles me though is that it works sometimes when running it from the command line.

Gameboy Genius
View Profile

It's confirmed to be a problem with Comodo. Other people have reported that cygwin stuff isn't working with Comodo.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:09:12 pm by nitro2k01 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: