Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Adding Streaming library to the Arduino core  (Read 1424 times)
Maastricht Netherlands
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Streaming is an important c++ feature, therefore I don't understand why including of the Streaming library to the Arduino core was rejected. See here:
http://arduiniana.org/libraries/streaming/
Streaming makes printing text easier and the library is efficient, it generates no extra machinecode.
I hope the Arduino staff will add this library to the Arduino core or to the Contributed Libraries” list.

Norway@Oslo
Edison Member
loveArduino(true);
View Profile

Streaming is an important c++ feature
Although it is an important c++ it does not imply that it should be a key feature of Arduino.
The ''stream insertion operator'' << and >> which actually is bit shift operators have caused quite a few discussions, and even more questions.
Many people find them cryptic, I've always though 'shift all the bytes of the string (or the object) into' whatever happenes to use/call the operator << or >>.

I think teaching function calls is better, and it looks cleaner, than stream insertion does. Although it results in longer code.

Streaming makes printing text easier and the library is efficient, it generates no extra machinecode.
I hope the Arduino staff will add this library to the Arduino core or to the Contributed Libraries[ch8221] list.

Although I've mostly argued against I agree.  smiley

Maastricht Netherlands
View Profile

Sorry, here I disagree.

Function calls cost many lines:
lcd.print("GPS #");
lcd.print(gpsno);
lcd.print(" date: ");
lcd.print(day);
lcd.print("-");
lcd.print(month);
lcd.print("-");
lcd.println(year);

With streaming everything can be written in one line:
lcd << "GPS #" << gpsno << " date: " << day << "-" << month << "-" << year << endl;

I prefer streaming and it generates no extra byte of code at all.

Florida
1 Cor 10:31
View Profile

I know its nice to have it as default but it doesnt seem like that big a deal to insert
Code:
template<class T> inline Print &operator <<(Print &obj, T arg) { obj.print(arg); return obj; }

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: