Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The letter at end of the part number.  (Read 515 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My very nice NIKKO ALPHA 450 audio amplifier was butchered by a technician that could not find the parts to fix a blown channel. He cut a few wires and a jumper in order to have the remaining channel working. That's not what I wanted. The technician could not find the original parts and neither could I, so I got something else that I want to make sure will work before I solder them in place.
The original parts made by Toshiba are part numbers 2SC2565A and 2SA1095A. I came across the following also Toshiba parts 2SC2565 and 2SA1095. They have the same part number and look identical but without the A at the end. I have being told that the A at the end is an upgrade of the same part. Please let me know where I stand here. Am I compromising performance? Are the left and right channels going to sound the same? Will they have the same specs and performance:-? Thank you very much for your advice in advance.

Copenhagen / Denmark
Edison Member
Do it !
View Profile

Not very Arduino relevant !

MD, USA
God Member
A jack of all trades and a master of none!
View Profile

Check the data sheet on the items. It will tell you what the letter on the end represents. Usually its an indication of a different revision of the item. Depending on the part and its use the revision may or may not be a big deal.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

looks down at the bar sport forum
 smiley-wink

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Often a letter will indicate a die revision, that is using a different mask to make the device. In general these should be identical in performance but this is not always the case. Normally a manufacturer will issue a bulletin saying what has changed.

Are the left and right channels going to sound the same?
Depends on how much of a hi fi buff you are. Normally people claim to hear differences from all manor of things that don't make a jot of difference, like gold plated mains connectors and the like. So if you think there is a difference you will here on. It's an extension of the placebo effect (never did like Brian Molko  smiley-wink)

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

If you're worried about the channels sounding different, replace the same parts in both channels to maintain symmetry.

What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: