Go Down

Topic: Problem with 0017, Firmata 2.1 on Duemilanove (Read 4830 times) previous topic - next topic

eighthave

(sorry about the triple post, it said "Internal Server Error")

ruidlopes,

I think its feasible to make StandardFirmata include full Mega support, but it could add a lot of complexity.  If you are willing to take on the coding of it, I'll happily help where I can.  I think the easiest way to start would be to make a MegaStandardFirmata and get that all working, so we have an idea of what needs to happen, and people can start using it.  Then, we can check into the feasibility of merging the code into a single StandardFirmata.

How does that sound?

eighthave

(sorry about the triple post, it said "Internal Server Error")

ruidlopes,

I think its feasible to make StandardFirmata include full Mega support, but it could add a lot of complexity.  If you are willing to take on the coding of it, I'll happily help where I can.  I think the easiest way to start would be to make a MegaStandardFirmata and get that all working, so we have an idea of what needs to happen, and people can start using it.  Then, we can check into the feasibility of merging the code into a single StandardFirmata.

How does that sound?

ruidlopes

Thanks for the quick answer on this.

It sounds like a great "one step at a time" approach :) From what I could tell from the code, it might just be a matter of tweaking flags & masks on StandardFirmata, to comply with the extra fluff added on the Mega.

Am I right on this? Please do correct me where I'm wrong.

eighthave

Yup, that's my guess too.  I hope its not more complicated.  I think the hard part is that they numbered things out of order with the mega.  So while all the other Arduino boards pins 0-7 are one PORT, pins 8-14 are another PORT, and the analog pins are another PORT, on the mega, the numbers don't always go in sequence with the ports.

eighthave

We have a new beta release we a major feature and minor fix:

- Shigeru Kobayashi added support running servos on almost all the pins!
- Hernando Barragán added some fixes for building for the Wiring board.

http://at.or.at/hans/pd/objects.html#pduino

I tested this on a Diecimila and original Arduino.  These are the only Arduinos I have, so testing and bug reports on those are very helpful.  There are no outstanding bugs that I know of, if I hear of no other bugs, I think this one will be the final release!

.hc

Philip van Allen

I tried this with my NETLab Toolkit, and it did not seem to work. This is using the Duemilanove. I had a problem compiling it, where it said that FIRST_SERVO_PIN was not defined. But when I hard coded this into the StandardFirmata file, it compiled okay and uploaded, but it did not work with my software.

.phil

eighthave

The library itself had to change to properly support the servo stuff.

You need to swap out the whole library from inside your Arduino app.  In hardware/libraries, delete the Firmata folder, and replace it with the one in this beta release.

Philip van Allen

I thought I had done this..., but must have not quite taken. Anyway, that was the problem. So the new version works well with the NETLab Toolkit - the only trick is that the baud rate is now 57600 instead of 115200. So when you release this, I'll need to change that in my code.

Any idea of when this will go out officially?

Also, what was the reason for making the I2C a separate version?

my stuff": http://newecologyofthings.wik.is/NETLab_Toolkit

Thanks!

.phil

eighthave

The 57600 baud change is part of Firmata 2.1 and was included in Arduino 0017.  StandardFirmataV2_0 is also included for backwards compatibility with the baudrate 115200.

As for the I2C stuff, I can't really say anything about that since I didn't write that part.  Shigeru Kobayashi and Jeff Hoeffs did that part.

Be sure to add a link to your project on http://firmata.org/downloads.  That's the place for all things that use Firmata.

Burningfuses

Hello. I made this post: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257883230 and since this is the only thread I could find on a similar subject, here I'm.

From what I understood from what has been posted above, Firmata 2.1 is still buggy on the Mega, specially regarding PIN assignments. Is that right? Could that be the reason for my confusion?

Thanks in advance.

eighthave

Its not so much buggy as unimplemented.  Some of the guts of the Mega work quite a bit different than the rest of the Arduinos, so its a special case.  (Specifically, on the Mega, PORTs are not mapped to the pin numbers on the board sequentially)

noloman

Still not working for me with Duemilanove and Arduino 0017; same problems yet: I get either 0 or 1 values with the sensor, while without the serial communication -in the ARduino IDE Serial Monitor- I get the normal temperature values

jointtech

just want to say thanks for the Firmata-2.1beta7.zip I was pulling my hair out with Firmata.vb.
Nothing in any samples would work...
Stumbled on a post on somebody bitching about 0017 firmata being crap and followed that trail here.  
Its working we have leds and my poten works. ;D

Now I can actually start coding and testing.  I hate it when things dont just work.. I think there should be more posts telling people to replace that firmata folder so newbs like me dont give up.  

thanks again ill post my project when complete.

Burningfuses

I totally agree with you jointtech. I think this should be in the home page at www.arduino.cc (just above the "Can't run Arduino after updating Java on your Mac? "), specially since a broken one is being distributed with the official package. I also struggle for a day until I found this thread.
Thanks a lot eighthave for helping us with this!

Go Up