Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Question about File->Open Dialog  (Read 517 times)
Rock n' Rolling with Arduino.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

On arduino-0021, when you go to file->open, the default directory it opens in is arduino's current working directory, not the sketchbook path. I, personally, find this kind of annoying.

Checking the source (proccessing.app.Base), however, it looks like the original default behavior of the dialog was to open in the sketchbook directory, and people found this annoying, so it was disabled.

I tried searching, but I couldn't find any discussion on why it was disabled in processing. Would arduino users find the current behavior (open the cwd by default) more annoying, or my preferred behavior (open the sketchbook directory by default)?

As far as a 'bugfix' goes, it's pretty easy, just uncomment two lines in processing.app.Base. The main question is: 'is this a bug at all'. If it is, should we be talking to the processing people about it?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:57:33 pm by YenTheFirst » Logged

It's not stupid, it's advanced

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Would arduino users find the current behavior (open the cwd by default) more annoying
That will definately be annoying.

or my preferred behavior (open the sketchbook directory by default)?
That's the good choice.

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I think by not explicitly setting the directory for the dialog, it defers to the operating system's default behavior, e.g. showing the last directory from which something was opened.  I think is probably generally the right approach (deferring to the OS default), but if there's a way to change the first directory shown the open dialog (from the Arduino WD to the sketchbook directory), without overriding the default on subsequent opens, that might make sense.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: