Go Down

Topic: Newbie question about error: invalid conversion (Read 627 times) previous topic - next topic

eelke

Hey all,

Two days ago I started playing around with arduino, so I am completely new to the programming of the arduino board. also I don't know processing. (I do fine with webbased programming though, like actionscript & php)

However, I did get the blinking led sketch to work, and amended it to say "hello world" in morse, controlling a Relaysboard and a 230v lightbulb. All very exciting for my taste, however I need it to do a lot more: my Arduino's planned to become the beating hardware heart of my graduation installation.

So, now I run into a problem. My following code is accepted by Arduino 0003, by rejected by 0004. It says:
Code: [Select]
In function 'void loop()':
error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'unsigned char

This is the code I have. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?
Code: [Select]
int joyPin = 2;
int joyVal = 0;

void setup()
{
 beginSerial(9600);
 pinMode(joyPin, INPUT);  
}
void loop()
{
 joyVal = digitalRead(joyPin);
 if (joyVal == HIGH){
   serialWrite("A");
 }  
 else{
   serialWrite("B");
 }
 delay(100);
}

eelke

Gosh, changing "serialWrite("blabla");" to "Serial.print("blabla");" has a magical effect on this problem.

Excuse me for my noobness ;)

mellis

Don't worry, it's actually a subtle issue.  In C and C++, "A" is a string, i.e. a pointer to sequence of characters.  A single character is written with single quotes, e.g. 'A'.  In C, functions cannot be overloaded, i.e. you can't have a version of serialWrite for strings and another for characters.  C will, however, happily convert a string like "A" to a character (which is what serialWrite is designed for) - but it won't do so in the way you expect.  That is, "A" gets converted into the character whose ASCII code equals the address of the string.  In C++, you can overload functions, so there's a version of Serial.print() for both characters and strings (and integers, etc) that does what you'd expect.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy