Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: reading piezo sensor  (Read 1387 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I have a Piezo sensor attached - it is outputing the following

ÿ        DEC : 255        HEX: FF        OCT: 377        BIN:11111111
ù        DEC : 249        HEX: F9        OCT: 371        BIN:11111001
à        DEC : 224        HEX: E0        OCT: 340        BIN:11100000
?        DEC : 136        HEX: 88        OCT: 210        BIN:10001000
»        DEC : 187        HEX: BB  OCT: 273        BIN:10111011
?        DEC : 253        HEX: FD        OCT: 375        BIN:11111101
?        DEC : 240        HEX: F0        OCT: 360        BIN:11110000
È        DEC : 200        HEX: C8        OCT: 310        BIN:11001000
?        DEC : 132        HEX: 84        OCT: 204        BIN:10000100
?        DEC : 130        HEX: 82        OCT: 202        BIN:10000010

I am running the following code

int ledPin = 13;      // led connected to control pin 13
byte analogValue = 0;
byte oldAnalogValue = 1;        // variable to store the value read from the sensor pin

void setup() {
 //pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT); // declare the ledPin as as OUTPUT
 Serial.begin(9600);       // use the serial port
 //Serial.println("ready");
}

void loop() {
  analogValue = analogRead(0);    // read the sensor and store it in the variable "val"
      //Serial.println(analogValue, 0);
      if (analogValue != oldAnalogValue){
        oldAnalogValue = analogValue;
  // print it out in many formats:
  Serial.print(analogValue);         // print as an ASCII-encoded decimal
  Serial.print("\t  DEC : ");                // print a tab character
  Serial.print(analogValue, DEC);    // print as an ASCII-encoded decimal
  Serial.print("\t  HEX: ");                // print a tab character
  Serial.print(analogValue, HEX);    // print as an ASCII-encoded hexadecimal
  Serial.print("\t  OCT: ");                // print a tab character
  Serial.print(analogValue, OCT);    // print as an ASCII-encoded octal
  Serial.print("\t  BIN:");                // print a tab character
  Serial.print(analogValue, BIN);    // print as an ASCII-encoded binary
  Serial.println();   }      
  delay(100);  // we have to make a delay to avoid overloading the serial port
}

I do not understand why this is not outputting a better range of integers.  I have a 1M resister and a 5.1V Zener Diod in parallel with the Piezo.

Thanks

Garth

Daniel

That one is hard to answer, since the rise and decay of the signal from the piezo is goign to be very fast. The Arduino sampling rate, especially with the serial commands and the 100ms delay, is a lot slower in comparison.

Do you have an oscilloscope? That would be the quickest way to see what the piezo is actualy putting out.

The zener diode may be also influencing things. It's  a good idea for protection, although I never use them and haven't had a problem...  I just connect the piezo across an analog input and ground, with a 100K resistor in parallel. The resistor might be your problem--  the 1M resistor might not be small enough to allow the piezo's potential to drain quickly enough.

OK I have guessed at everything possible here, hope this helps!  smiley

D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 05:54:54 am by Daniel » Logged

Forum Administrator
View Profile

Just adding to daniel's excellent response.

All those print statements use a looooot of time...
remove all that HEX, BIn etc... print only one value and up
the serial speed at 115200

also you might want to print data only if it goes above a certain value...

all that printing is makin you miss all the good values smiley

m

View Profile

Brilliant thanks so much for your advice - I'll trim the resistor to 100K and remove all the prints - which were there to see what was happening - I alsdo realised I instantiated the 'analogValue' variable as a BYTE hence not getting the nive INT's I was expecting

Cheers

Garth
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:16:04 am by garthpaine » Logged

View Profile

Just wanted to add my thanks as well for Daniel's advice, I'm about to start a project based on the "spookyarduino" MIDI drum kit (http://todbot.com/blog/2006/10/29/spooky-arduino-projects-4-and-musical-arduino/) which uses a 1M resistor and zener diode in parallel with the piezo. Garth, would I correct in assuming you're working on something similar? In any case, good luck smiley

Daniel

fyi

i was using a one-ince diameter piezo... or 2.67cm or something like that!

If you have a giant piezo that could well damage the Atmega inputs.
Now that I htink of it, the diode should be OK, it's probably the resistor... any luck yet?

D

View Profile

Thanks Daniel

Yes I am just using the smaller Piezo as well - I changed the resistor and took the Zener out - the responce is much better but still not all that great - I not the highest output is around 800, and it does not seem to output very consistent figures - multiple taps of similar strength output quite different responces, so perhaps it is still not seeing the envelop of the sensor properly?

I am interested in using several to form a trigger matrix for samples with some velocity sensativity that I will smooth in Max/MSP as there seems to be no way of smoothing in Arduino?

I'll look at it a bit more tonigh and get back to you - the main problem is consistency of responce - perhaps I need better quality Piezos?  Any suggestions on that front?

Cheers

Garth

Daniel

what value resistor did you try? Try putting a 100K pot across the piezo terminals, and turning it to a smaller and smaller resistance while monitoring the values...

View Profile

yes thats a good idea - I have just such a pot with connector pins soldered on for the Arduino.  I have a 100K resistor in there at the moment.  I just got 10 smaller Piezos off eBay which actually seem to respond better than the larger one I have.  The larger one is about 28mm across, the smaller one is about 22mm.

I'll try the pot idea tomorrow.

Thanks again.

PS.  I got the Arduino2Max running today - SWEET :-) http://www.arduino.cc/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Cheers

Garth

Maker of BlinkM and blink(1), ScrewShield, Wiichuck adpater, and many other Arduino thingies
View Profile

The charge generated by the piezo when it is whacked is very tiny.  You'll likely find that adding a resistor smaller than 1M will result in lower values read from analogRead().  This is because the smaller the resistor is, the faster the piezo's charge will be dissipated.  Trying to accurately capture the tiny voltage peak generated by the piezo is tough.  Ideally I think you'd have no resistor at all and then use Arduino itself to discharge the built-up charge once it has been read.  Something like this might work (note, not tested at all):
  pinMode(piezoPin,INPUT);
  val = analogRead(piezoPin);  // read piezo
  pinMode(piezoPin,OUPUT);
  digitalWrite(piezoPin,LOW);   // discharge piezo

This assumes the input resistance of the Arduino is very high, >10M at least.  I think this is the case, but I've not checked. And it runs the risk that you'll miss the whack on the piezo when you're spending time draining the charge.  This is the reason for the 1M resistor in the original circuit: it acts as a constant charge drain so you don't need to worry about doing it yourself, at the expense of accuracy because you're never sure of getting an accurate reading.

I solved this quite accurately before by sticking an op-amp configured as a comparator between the piezo and microcontroller. The op-amp amplified the signal and turned it into a digital value where the HIGH time measured the intensity of the hit on the piezo.

And you'll still probably want the zener though. Piezos can generate kilovolts, more than enough to fry the input pins of your Arduino.

View Profile

thanks tobot

thats very helpfull - I was also thinking of running serval resistors to different pins a comparing the outputs.  I teach Electronic Arts and Electronic Music at the University of Western Sydney, and we have been doing quite a bot of stuff with sensors - I am new to Arduino, and was inspired by your Drum Kit project to check out the accuracy and responce for some drum students who would enjoy adding sampled sounds this way.  Arduino is cheap enough to be in their price range, and Piezos are of course much cheaper than FSR's or other options.

What OpAmp did you use and how did you configure it?

Thanks in advance

Garth

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: