Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Timed Serial communication  (Read 594 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

For a project I want to be able to send data from my PC to arduino at regular intervals, say every 5 minutes. It seems wasteful to have the arduino in a loop waiting for data the wholoe time, is it possible to use the RTS data line of an RS232 connection to trigger the arduino external interrupt which would then recieve the data? seems like a much more efficient way of doing it, especially for remotely powered projects.

thanks!

Alex

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

In theory, it should be possible.  In practice I'm not sure if the RTS line is one of the lines of the FTDI chip that are broken out into soldereable pads.  If not, you might be able to control one of the four that are from software, but it may require some low-level code on the computer side.

God Member
View Profile

Cool. I'm actually not using the USB serial port, I'm using PC Serial Port --> MAX232 --> Arduino pins 0,1,GND.    I was thinking I could connect the PC RTS pin to the Arduino interrupt pin.

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

In that case, yea, that should work.  If you search the forum for "sleep" you might find some information on putting the Arduino into power saving mode until an external interrupt arrives.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: