Go Down

Topic: Arduino Diecimila, Arduino 0009 and OS X (Read 445 times) previous topic - next topic

pkropf

I'm trying to get my Diecimila board communicating with my OS X system and don't seem to be having any luck.

I first tried just loading the usb driver that came with Arduino 0009, rebooting, plugging in the Diecimila and launching Arduino 009. Unfortunately, the usb serial driver wasn't listed under Tools -> Serial Port.

So I looked through the boards and found the posting at http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1143197735, followed the instructions to re-install and still the usb serial driver wasn't listed.

So now I'm stuck. I'm not sure what I need to do in order to debug this and get the board talking with my system. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

- Peter

mellis

There is a slightly newer version of the drivers on the FTDI website: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.  You might try uninstalling the ones that came with Arduino and installing those.

What version of OS X do you have?  Intel or PPC Mac?  In the System Profiler, when the board is connected do you see FT232RL USB UART under USB?  If you open a Terminal and do:

ls /dev/tty.*

What do you see?

pkropf

I've tried the latest FTDI drivers, version 2.2.7 and have the same results.

I'm running on an Intel MacBook Pro w/ 2GB memory, 120GB disk and OS X 10.4.10.

System profiler shows:

FT232R USB UART:

Version:      6.00
 Bus Power (mA):      500
 Speed:      Up to 12 Mb/sec
 Manufacturer:      FTDI
 Product ID:      0x6001
 Serial Number:      A4001tot
 Vendor ID:      0x0403

And /dev/tty.* shows:

/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem        /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync     /dev/tty.Peter-1                /dev/tty.usbserial-A4001tot

As you can see, there's now a tty.usbserial entry under /dev/. This wasn't there last night when I was trying to get the communications working. I'm a bit confused.

But I did just upload the Blink example sketch and its running on the board now. Wahoo!

- Peter

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy